Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Metlifecare investigates building issues with Auckland Links

Metlifecare investigates building problems with Auckland Links Apartment complex

By Tina Morrison

Oct. 15 (BusinessDesk) – Metlifecare, New Zealand’s second-largest listed retirement village operator, is investigating building problems with an Auckland village it acquired as part of a merger with Private Life Care Holdings last year.

The Auckland-based company flagged the building issue at its Links Apartments at Hibiscus Coast Village in its prospectus last week for listing on the Australian stock exchange, saying the cost of remedial work is currently unknown.

“There is an area in the basement which was not designed exactly as it might have been using best practice and we just need to understand what the implications are,” said managing director Alan Edwards. “We are probably four to six weeks away from having a much clearer understanding of what is going on.”

Metflifecare acquired the village, adjacent to a golf course, as part of its merger last year with Vision Senior Living and Private Life Care which aimed to increase its portfolio and focus on the premium Auckland, Hamilton and Bay of Plenty regions.

The Links apartment complex is spread over four floors with access-controlled basement parking spaces and lift access to each apartment floor. The development of 71 apartment units took 19 months and was worth $22.5 million, according to Haydn & Rollett Construction. Maltbys, a quantity surveyor, puts the cost of the complex at $24 million, including extensions and refurbishments to the existing village community centre building and says it was completed in April 2008.

The building issues are sensitive and subject to a claims process, said Metlifecare’s Edwards.

Shares in Metlifecare gained 0.3 percent to $3.27, valuing the company at $683 million.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

More/Less Coal: Consents Granted For Coal Mine At Mangatangi

A joint Waikato District Council and Waikato Regional Council hearings committee has approved the issuing of consents to a Fonterra subsidiary for an open cast coal mine at Mangatangi, 2.5 kilometres east of Mangatawhiri, in north Waikato. More>>

ALSO:

Disasterous Year: ICNZ Warns Country Must Adapt To Extreme Weather Events

The cost of insured damage from extreme weather events for 2013 is likely to be over $100 million, making it the most costly year from storms in New Zealand since 2004, according to the Insurance Council of New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Christchurch Airport Targeting Excessive Profits - Regulator

Christchurch International Airport’s proposed prices over the next two decades are significantly higher than the Commerce Commissions’ view of what’s acceptable, and tougher disclosure requirements have had little impact on promoting price efficiency, the regulator says. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Xero Raises $180M Selling Shares At Premium To Matrix, Thiel

Xero, the cloud-based accounting company whose shares have more than doubled this year, raised $180 million selling shares to Matrix Capital Management, Peter Thiel-backed Valar Ventures and other investors to ensure it can keep bankrolling its expansion. More>>

ALSO:

Thermal Field Management: Geyser’s Revival Of International Significance

Revival of Papakura Geyser in Rotorua’s Whakarewarewa geothermal valley may be a world first, Bay of Plenty Regional Council Chief Executive Mary-Anne Macleod says. More>>

ALSO:

200 Jobs At Stake: Independent Fisheries To Consider Future Of Christchurch Plant

Intense competition from heavily discounted foreign-sourced product in its key markets has forced Christchurch-based fishing company Independent Fisheries Ltd to consider the future of its Woolston processing facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: SFO Confirms Probe Into Auckland Transport Procurement

The white-collar crime investigator executed a number of search warrants at several locations yesterday as it probes an unidentified number of individuals relating to “irregularities in the procurement of services,” it said in a statement. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news