Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Hutson fails to respond to Abano buyout offer

Hutson fails to respond to Abano buyout offer, takeover ‘rife with insider elements’

Oct. 17 (BusinessDesk) – Abano Healthcare says shareholder Peter Hutson has failed to respond to its offer to buy his half stake in their audiology venture and his alternative proposal to take over the specialist medical investors is “rife with insider elements.”

Abano had offered a ‘buy/sell’ mechanism to Hutson and his associated interests under which they would nominate the price for a 50 percent shareholding in Bay International Limited, and Abano would choose whether to buy the Hutson interest or sell its own half share at that nominated price.

It made the proposal after rejecting Hutson’s informal offer to buy the rest of Abano at $6.97 a share. The shares last traded at $6.76 a share.

Hutson, Archer Capital and shareholder James Reeves have a combined 19.99 percent of Abano and under their proposal a privatised Abano would have sold the balance of Bay International to Hutson for a nominal sum.

“Abano is disappointed and concerned that the buy/sell proposal has not been responded to by Peter Hutson or his interests,” chairman Trevor Janes said in a statement. “This lack of any response further reinforces the conflicts of interest inherent in the Archer/Reeves/Hutson consortium proposal.”

Hutson resigned as a director of Abano last month, on the urging of other board members, because of a perceived conflict of interest. The company has refused to allow due diligence, saying Archer may end up as a direct competitor.

Other Abano shareholders have said the Hutson proposal undervalues the company, including Fisher Funds management, with an 8.8 percent holding.

Janes said the Hutson group “continues to communicate selectively with Abano’s major shareholders – and are receiving a consistent message of no support for their proposal.”

“Abano will not provide the requested due diligence access in response to a patently unsatisfactory proposal, rife with insider elements,” he said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

More/Less Coal: Consents Granted For Coal Mine At Mangatangi

A joint Waikato District Council and Waikato Regional Council hearings committee has approved the issuing of consents to a Fonterra subsidiary for an open cast coal mine at Mangatangi, 2.5 kilometres east of Mangatawhiri, in north Waikato. More>>

ALSO:

Disasterous Year: ICNZ Warns Country Must Adapt To Extreme Weather Events

The cost of insured damage from extreme weather events for 2013 is likely to be over $100 million, making it the most costly year from storms in New Zealand since 2004, according to the Insurance Council of New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Christchurch Airport Targeting Excessive Profits - Regulator

Christchurch International Airport’s proposed prices over the next two decades are significantly higher than the Commerce Commissions’ view of what’s acceptable, and tougher disclosure requirements have had little impact on promoting price efficiency, the regulator says. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Xero Raises $180M Selling Shares At Premium To Matrix, Thiel

Xero, the cloud-based accounting company whose shares have more than doubled this year, raised $180 million selling shares to Matrix Capital Management, Peter Thiel-backed Valar Ventures and other investors to ensure it can keep bankrolling its expansion. More>>

ALSO:

Thermal Field Management: Geyser’s Revival Of International Significance

Revival of Papakura Geyser in Rotorua’s Whakarewarewa geothermal valley may be a world first, Bay of Plenty Regional Council Chief Executive Mary-Anne Macleod says. More>>

ALSO:

200 Jobs At Stake: Independent Fisheries To Consider Future Of Christchurch Plant

Intense competition from heavily discounted foreign-sourced product in its key markets has forced Christchurch-based fishing company Independent Fisheries Ltd to consider the future of its Woolston processing facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: SFO Confirms Probe Into Auckland Transport Procurement

The white-collar crime investigator executed a number of search warrants at several locations yesterday as it probes an unidentified number of individuals relating to “irregularities in the procurement of services,” it said in a statement. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news