Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Pernod Ricard NZ posts smallest loss since 2009

Pernod Ricard NZ posts smallest loss since 2009 as write downs slow

By Paul McBeth

Jan. 6 (BusinessDesk) - Pernod Ricard’s New Zealand unit posted its smallest annual loss since 2009 after ending three years of substantial writedowns.

The New Zealand holding company, Millstream Equities, narrowed its loss to $9.6 million in the 12 months ended June 30, from $182.3 million, making it the smallest deficit in four years. The Pernod Ricard unit wrote off about $270 million of goodwill and wore a $99 million loss on the sale of local brands in the past three years, and has racked up retained losses of $879 million.

The global parent, the world’s second-largest liquor distiller, injected $715.4 million of new capital last year, almost doubling the shares on issue, and the holding company had equity of $682.2 million as at June 30.

The statements noted a deficiency in working capital of $22.9 million, and the directors continued to assume the company is a going concern after the immediate parent confirmed an intention to extend a current loan for a further 12 months from June 15, 2013. The parent was owed almost $22.8 million at the June 30 balance date.

Pernod’s local gross profit jumped 51 percent to $59.3 million due to the liquor group reaping a $16.7 million gain in the fair value of its agricultural produce, helping offset a 3.5 percent slide in sales to $227.7 million.

The company’s takeover of Allied Domecq in 2005 gave it New Zealand assets including the Montana wine business. It rationalised them with the sale of a Gisborne winery, five vineyards and 12 wine brands, including sparkling wine Lindauer, to Lion and partner Indevin Group for $88.3 million in 2010.

That deal ended up in court after Lion claimed Pernod had breached warranties by not disclosing certain margin agreements with the Woolworths-owned Countdown supermarkets. Last month the Court of Appeal upheld a ruling against Lion’s claim for damages of between $6.25 million and $8.96 million.

The judgment hadn’t been released at the date of the Pernod statements being lodged.

The Pernod unit took provisions of some $25.3 million to cover the cost of legal claims recognised by the directors, chiefly its involvement in the tax department’s investigation into interest deductions on mandatory convertible notes.

Inland Revenue alleges the securities, which let companies juggle debt and equity to provide a tax advantage, were used simply as a means to minimise tax.

“The company and group will continue to dispute the proposed adjustments,” the statements said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Hager Raid: Westpac Wrong To Release Bank Records To Police

The Privacy Commissioner has censured Westpac Banking Corp for releasing without a court order more than 10 months of bank records belonging to the political activist and journalist Nicky Hager during a police investigation into leaked information published in Hager's 2014 pre-election book, 'Dirty Politics'. More>>

ALSO:

EARLIER:

Crown Accounts: Government Ekes Out Six-Month Surplus Of $9M

The New Zealand government eked out a tiny surplus in the first six months of the fiscal year as growth in domestic consumption lifted the goods and services tax take, while uncertainties over the Kaikoura earthquake costs meant expenses were less than expected. More>>

ALSO:

Almost 400 Jobs: Shock At Cadbury's Dunedin Factory Closure

Workers at Cadbury in Dunedin are reeling after learning this morning that the iconic Cadbury factory is to close, with the loss of almost 400 jobs... “The company had reported it was doing well and this has come out of the blue,” says Chas. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Boards Of Inquiry For Auckland Roading Projects

Boards of Inquiry have been appointed to decide on two significant Auckland roading projects in a move which will get a decision by the end of the year, Environment Minister Dr Nick Smith and Conservation Minister Maggie Barry announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news