Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Vodafone pays $268k to settle ‘Broadband Lite’ complaints

Vodafone pays $268k to settle ‘Broadband Lite’ complaints

Jan. 16 (BusinessDesk) - Vodafone New Zealand, the country’s biggest mobile phone operator, has paid $268,231 to customers as part of a settlement over its ‘Broadband Lite’ promotion between 2009 and 2011.

The Commerce Commission launched an investigation into the promotion after receiving complaints that some customers weren’t adequately advised about the terms of the service, the antitrust regulator said in a statement. Its investigation found about 8,000 of the 146,000 who signed up to the promotion didn’t received an opt-out reminder after the free three-month trial period ended.

The Auckland-based company launched its own inquiry after being contacted by the regulator, and took actions to rectify the issues, including a review and upgrade of its Fair Trading Act compliance training programme.

“In reaching the decision to settle, we took into account the fact that Vodafone put things right as soon as it became aware of the problems,” Commerce Commission consumer manager Stuart Wallace said. “The case highlights the potential problems with ‘opt-out’ sales promotions.”

The promotion gave Vodafone customers access to the internet for free over a three-month period, and customers would need to contact the phone company if they wanted to opt-out of the service.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Court Ruling: Kiwifruit NZ Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news