Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


EQC two-thirds through home repairs 3 years on from quakes

EQC two-thirds through home repairs three years on from quakes

By Suze Metherell

Jan. 28 (BusinessDesk) – The Earthquake Commission is two-thirds of the way through repairing houses damaged by the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes in a contract managed by Fletcher Building.

Some 50,174 repairs have been made in the greater Christchurch region to homes since the establishment of the Canterbury Home Repair Programme in October 2010, Minister Responsible for Earthquake Commission Gerry Brownlee said in a statement.

EQC aims to finish all repairs by the end of the year. As of today, there were about 27,000 houses still needing full repairs, according to the EQC website.

“The end of the scheme is very much in sight,” Brownlee said.

The government scheme is run through the EQC but managed by Fletcher Building, who won the tender to be the sole contractor.

The 2010 and 2011 earthquakes damaged about 180,000 homes in Canterbury. EQC is required to cover the first $100,000 and has responsibility for about 160,000 damaged homes.

It expects to make cash settlements on about half of the claims and manage repairs for the rest, and had paid some $6.75 billion as at Jan. 28 out of an estimated $12 billion.

The Reserve Bank estimates is the full cost of the Canterbury rebuild will be $40 billion.

In November the Auditor General gave the Earthquake Commission a mixed report for managing home repairs after the Canterbury quakes, with a pass mark for managing the programme and controlling costs, and a fail for how it has dealt with homeowners.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Finance: Major Campaign To End "Gross Overtaxation Of Savings"

The campaign – which includes a special web site through which New Zealanders can e-mail their own and other MPs and party leaders – is backed by Age Concern, Consumer NZ, the Financial Services Council and the Taxpayers’ Union. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Leighton-Led WGP To Build, Manage Transmission Gully

The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Gareth Morgan: The Government’s Fresh Water Policy – Revisited

Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>

ALSO:

Interest Rates: RBNZ Hikes OCR To 3.5%, ‘Period Of Assessment’ Now Needed

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Canpac Site 'Resize' To Focus More On Paediatrics

Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Postie Plus Brand Gets 2nd Chance With Well-Funded Pepkor

The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news