Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


New dwelling consents reach six-year high in 2013

New dwelling consents reach six-year high in 2013

30 January 2014

A total of 21,300 new dwellings were consented in 2013, up 26 percent from 2012, Statistics New Zealand said today.

“The annual number of new dwellings is at its highest level since 2007. The rise in 2013 was mainly driven by increases in Auckland and Canterbury,” industry and labour statistics manager Clara Eatherley said.

The regions that consented the most new dwellings in 2013 were:
• Auckland – 6,309 (up 38 percent from 2012)
• Canterbury – 5,762 (up 43 percent)
• Waikato – 2,245 (up 24 percent)
• Wellington – 1,573 (up 27 percent).

The total value of building work consented in 2013 was $12.1 billion (up 20 percent from 2012). This consisted of:

• $7.9 billion of residential work (up 28 percent)
• $4.2 billion of non-residential work (up 6.9 percent).

Dwelling numbers rise in December

In December 2013, a total of 2,035 new dwellings were consented, including 473 apartments.

“December saw a high number of apartments consented in Auckland, and a high number of houses consented in Christchurch,” Ms Eatherley said.

Excluding apartments, the seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings rose 11 percent from November 2013. Including apartments, the number rose 7.6 percent.

The trend for the number of new dwellings eased in the middle of 2013, but has been increasing since then.

Data for building consents is obtained from all territorial authorities in New Zealand.

For more information about these statistics: Building Consents Issued: December 2013

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news