Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Vero settles Ministry of Education claim

30 January 2014

Vero settles Ministry of Education claim

Vero New Zealand, the lead insurer on the Ministry of Education claim in Christchurch, is pleased to announce the $200 million settlement.

“This has been the culmination of three years of comprehensive work with an intense six months in the lead up to the settlement agreement,” says Jimmy Higgins, Vero’s executive general manager, Earthquake Programme. “The cash settlement will give the Ministry complete flexibility on how, when and where they decide to spend the money on the remediation work required.”

“Ultimately, it is the New Zealand taxpayer who will benefit as more of these large claims are settled,” says Higgins.

Large commercial claims such as this one require the involvement of multiple specialists, assessments and data gathering before negotiations can begin.

“Vero are satisfied with the professional and efficient approach of the Ministry. We’ve enjoyed a respectful working relationship with the Ministry, their advisers, engineers and other specialists. Negotiations can be tense and confrontational but it is refreshing when we get to work with claimants who are committed to reaching a practical resolution,” says Higgins.

As a leading insurer in New Zealand, Vero has already paid out in excess of $3 billion towards the recovery of Christchurch.

Vero has also been the lead insurer on two of the largest claims in New Zealand – the Lyttelton Port Company (LPC) and Housing New Zealand. Both of these claims were settled last year.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Economic Update: RBNZ Says Rate Cut Seems Likely

The Reserve Bank will likely cut interest rates further as a persistently strong kiwi dollar makes it difficult for the bank to meet its inflation target, it said. The local currency fell. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news