Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Argentinian losses pushed Sealord into the red

Argentinian losses push Sealord into the red, North Island Mussels stake for sale

By Paul McBeth

Jan. 30 (BusinessDesk) - Sealord, New Zealand’s second-largest fishing company, sank into the red after crystallising a $46.9 million loss on the sale of its Argentinian unit last year and has since put its stake in North Island Mussels up for sale.

The Nelson-based company made a net loss of $44.3 million in the 12 months ended Sept. 30, compared to a profit of $3.5 million a year earlier, according to holding company Kura’s financial statements, lodged with the Companies Office. Sealord wrote off $37.1 million from the sale, and incurred a further $9.9 million in operating losses.

Gross profit sank 23 percent to $75.3 million, on a 6.1 percent decline in revenue to $457.3 million.

Sealord, which is jointly owned by Maori tribal interests through Aotearoa Fisheries and Japan’s Nippon Suisan Kaisha, took a $10 million charge against its Yuken business in Argentina in the year ended Sept. 30, 2012, before selling the business to local interests in August last year for an undisclosed sum.

In Aotearoa Fisheries’ annual report, chairman Whaimutu Dewes said the result was disappointing to the Maori fisheries company.

“Aotearoa Fisheries as a shareholder is mindful of the original drivers that lead to the acquisition of Sealord Group Limited and we continue to monitor the group's strategy and its execution to make 2013 a one-off event,” Dewes said in his report.

“Sealord is expecting a significant turnaround in 2014 and the Sealord board has approved a plan for profit for the year of $19.5 million, resulting in a profit contribution to Aotearoa Fisheries of $9.75 million,” he said.

Sealord slashed its dividend payment to $2.6 million, which was paid in December 2012, from $16 million a year earlier.

As well as the loss on the Yuken sale, Sealord booked a $2.6 million provisioning charge on the closure of a joint venture and faced $1 million in restructuring costs.

Before its Sept. 30 balance date Sealord began the sale process for its North Island marine farm licences and its 50 percent stake in North Island Mussels, which it co-owns with NZX-listed Sanford.

“It’s highly probable that the sale will take place in the next 12 months,” it said.

(BusinessDesk)


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

ETS Review: Modelling Documents Released

Three technical documents are being released to help New Zealanders engage with the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) review, Climate Change Minister Paula Bennett says. More>>

ALSO:

Northland: Govt Plan Targets Transport, Web, Maori Assets

The government has released a 10-year plan to attract investors and lift economic growth in Northland, a region that perennially underperforms the rest of the country even while being endowed with natural beauty, productive land, minerals, a potential workforce, scope for manufacturing, forestry and aquaculture, and proximity to Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Statistics: Unemployment Rate Falls To 5.3 Percent

The unemployment rate fell to 5.3 percent in the December 2015 quarter (from 6.0 percent), Statistics New Zealand said today. This is the lowest unemployment rate since March 2009. There were 16,000 fewer people unemployed than in the September ... More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Urges Talley’s To End AFFCO Lockout

Labour has urged Talley’s to resolve the ongoing industrial dispute with AFFCO workers which is having a severe effect on the employees, their families and their communities, Labour’s Workplace Relations spokesperson Iain Lees-Galloway says. More>>

ALSO:

Three Kings: Govt To Oppose Appeal Blocking $1.2B Auckland Housing Plan

Environment Minister Nick Smith and Housing New Zealand have joined legal proceedings in support of Auckland Council and Fletcher Building opposing a bid by community groups to only allow low-rise housing in a $1.2 billion housing redevelopment on the disused site of the Three Kings quarry. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Jetstar Expands Regional Network With Three New Routes

More New Zealanders than ever before will have access to Jetstar’s affordable flights when new services take off today from Auckland to New Plymouth and Palmerston North, and Nelson to Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news