Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


EDS dark on deepwater drilling regs; Anadarko plugs 1st well

EDS calls for deepwater drilling regs to be scrapped as Anadarko plugs first well

Feb. 4 (BusinessDesk) – The Environmental Defence Society is calling for the government to scrap its draft regulations governing deep sea oil exploration on the same day as Texan oil explorer Anadarko said it was plugging and abandoning the first of the two deepwater wells it’s drilling this summer.

While there were some oil and gas shows in the Romney-1 well, drilled in 1.5 kilometre deep waters off the Taranaki coast, Anadarko said the well was found to be water-bearing and “did not encounter commercial quantities of oil or natural gas.”

The well was drilled without incident to a depth of 4.6 kilometres and demonstrated that deepwater wells could be safely drilled in New Zealand waters, said Anadarko spokesman Alan Seay.

“We always learn an awful lot from unsuccessful wells. It will be useful to determine next steps,” said Seay.

The drill-ship Noble Bob Douglas will now head south to drill another deepwater well off the Canterbury coast in the Caravel prospect, and was expected to be ready to spud in by late next week.

Anadarko is conducting both wells under transitional arrangements ahead of the government setting regulations for oil and gas exploration in the country’s vast Exclusive Economic Zone, extending 200 kilometres out from shore.

Submissions on draft regulations closed at the end of last week, with EDS calling for the government to go back to the drawing board, as the proposals were “inadequate and weak”, with the intention to leave exploration wells as “non-notified” activities not requiring resource consent hearings creating unacceptable levels of environmental risk.

Instead, oil exploration should be treated as a notifiable, discretionary activity, rather than as currently proposed, both non-notifiable and permitted. The draft regulations envisage resource consent hearings only at the production well drilling stage, after commercially exploitable quantities of oil have been discovered.

“If we are to have oil and gas exploration in our deep oceans, we should have world class environmental oversight,” said EDS chairman Gary Taylor.

“The proposal to make exploration drilling non-notified leaves the environmental approvals process up to the Environmental Protection Authority with no public scrutiny, involvement or hearing. We are being asked by the EPA to ‘trust us – we know what we’re doing’.”

“This creates a real possibility of regulatory capture by the industry, one of the factors that a Presidential Inquiry found contributed to the Deepwater Horizons spill,” said Taylor, referring the catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.

“Regulatory capture is made even more likely by the fact that Ministers are acting as outspoken advocates for the sector in order, presumably, to counter pressure from interest groups that don’t want any oil and gas exploration.”

Taylor said the draft regulations were not based on any risk analysis of the threat from oil spills.

“Ministers are contending that there is a low probability of an oil spill. But risk is calculated by multiplying probability by consequences – and the consequences of a spill in New Zealand waters are enormous.”

“In order to make regulations under the EEZ Act, the Minister must have adequate information. In the absence of a proper risk assessment, we cannot see how this test can be met,” said Taylor.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news