Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Guilty plea over pokie profits

Guilty plea over pokie profits

A 67 year old man has pleaded guilty to five charges of theft by a person in a special relationship after he failed to bank $93,127 of pokie machine profits.

The Department of Internal Affairs, which is responsible for the integrity of the New Zealand gambling sector, issues licences to venues and incorporated societies to operate gaming machines and investigates misconduct in the sector.

In its statement to the Auckland District Court the Department said Patrick Francis Williams, 67, was a director of various companies which were venue operators for a number of gambling venues.

Venue operators must bank the profits from the societies’ gaming machines on its premises into the society’s designated bank account. The society is then responsible for the distribution of grants to community organisations.

Director of Gambling Compliance, Debbie Despard says Williams either failed to bank the pokie profits or significant portions of sums that were deposited were dishonoured.

“He also failed to keep to an agreement made with the incorporated society, North and South Trust Ltd, to pay back the money.

“The community is the ultimate beneficiary of the gaming machine proceeds, so when someone fails to bank the proceeds it is community groups that miss out.”

Williams, formerly of Cambridge and now living on Australia’s Gold Coast was remanded until April 17 for sentencing.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Court Ruling: Kiwifruit NZ Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news