Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Regulator says supermarket probe to take a number of months

Regulator anticipates supermarket probe to take ‘a number of months’

Feb. 20 (BusinessDesk) - The Commerce Commission has confirmed it is formally investigating allegations of anti-competitive behaviour towards suppliers by Woolworths-owned Countdown, and expects the probe will take “a number of months.”

Last week the regulator started assessing allegations made by Labour MP Shane Jones over Countdown’s behaviour, and has today confirmed the formal investigation.

“The investigation will involve seeking a wide range of information from a variety of sources, including organisations from all areas of the supermarket sector,” the regulator said in a statement. “The investigation is expected to take a number of months.”

The issue came to light last week when Jones accused Countdown of leaning on suppliers and used Parliamentary privilege to protect himself from potential defamation proceedings.

Countdown has previously said it will cooperate fully with the inquiry.

Jones said the investigation “totally vindicated” the stance he has taken on the supermarkets.

“The campaign I have led has resulted in the Commerce Commission agreeing to an inquiry,” Jones said. “That’s a win for ordinary Kiwis, businesses and consumers,”

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Auckland Port Study: Port To Ship Out – No Departure Date

Interest groups in Auckland and its waterfront chose a group of representatives to determine the future of the port. Their consensus is that the Port is going to have to move but not before a credible location is confirmed... More>>

ALSO:

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Other Centres' Convention Centres:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news