Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Govt to sell Genesis stake in ‘next month or so’, Key says

Govt to sell Genesis stake in ‘next month or so’, Key says

Feb. 24 (BusinessDesk) - The government plans to sell down its holding in Genesis Energy “in the next month or so” with more details coming on Wednesday, Prime Minister John Key says.

Speaking at his weekly post-Cabinet press conference, Key confirmed the government’s intention to sell 49 percent of Genesis, saying the details will come in Finance Minister Bill English’s speech to the Auckland Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday. The Genesis part-sale is expected to raise between $700 million and $1 billion.

Last week Genesis reported a 23 percent slide in first-half earnings to $150.5 million, reflecting stiff retail competition and a warm winter, which meant hydro-storage was above average and wholesale prices were lower.

The partial privatisation programme has had mixed success after an opposition proposal to overhaul the electricity market saw traders discount the value of the power companies, accompanied by growing recognition that New Zealand has excess generation capacity that may last some years, keeping a lid on prices.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Auckland Port Study: Port To Ship Out – No Departure Date

Interest groups in Auckland and its waterfront chose a group of representatives to determine the future of the port. Their consensus is that the Port is going to have to move but not before a credible location is confirmed... More>>

ALSO:

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Other Centres' Convention Centres:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news