Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Bathurst hunkers down as coking coal price keeps sinking

Bathurst hunkers down as coking coal price keeps sinking

By Pattrick Smellie

Feb. 25 (BusinessDesk) – Coal miner Bathurst Resources is making 29 staff redundant as it hunkers down to ride out the lowest world prices for coking coal in the last nine years, and signals a delayed start to its controversial Escarpment open-cut mine on the Denniston Plateau, above Westport.

Bathurst overcame a string of appeals to gain resource consents for Escarpment last October, more than two years after winning initial consents, but watched global prices for coking coal, used in steel-making, fall over that time from a high of more than US$300 a tonne in 2012 to around US$120 a tonne at present.

The company has said its operating costs at Escarpment would come in at around US$120 a tonne, reducing to US$90 per tonne as production ramps up. An economic “caucusing” document agreed during Environment Court hearings between economists engaged by Bathurst and scheme opponents last year, states the breakeven cost for the project is US$165 a tonne and suggests “a minimum expected price for the project to proceed is perhaps US$190.”

In a statement to the NZX and ASX today, chief executive Hamish Bohannan says: “Bathurst is committed to commencing establishment of the Escarpment mine as soon as authority is granted but will defer ramping up production until such time as the market is deemed to be recovering.

“For the next period, focus will be on securing the site, establishing facilities, including water management dams and stockpile areas, and mining sufficient coal to complete market qualification for coking coal supply to steel producers, principally in Japan and India.

“Sadly, this means that about 29 jobs will become redundant, but it will ensure that the company preserves cash to continue its operating and development activity,” he said.

Bathurst shares hit a high for the last 12 months of 28 cents a share last November, shortly after consents were granted, but its share price has ebbed since to close yesterday at 16 cents. There was no early NZX trading in Bathurst, the majority of whose shareholders are in Australia.

The company is also cutting directors’ and executive managers’ fees by 30 percent and reducing the size of its board by not replacing chairman Craig Munro, who recently retired, having appointed former electricity industry senior executive Dave Frow to take the chair.

“The key to these actions is to stabilise the company, move it into a cash positive situation, secure the Escarpment mine and develop it to the point where we can move quickly into commercial production once the market improves,” said Bohannan.

Its existing three coal mines will continue to service local dairy and cement industries. Escarpment and other mines planned on the Buller uplands above Westport are exclusively focused on export markets.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister John Key yesterday acknowledged that the financially stressed state-owned coal miner, Solid Energy, was also finding current conditions “very challenging.”

“We think it can survive, but its asset value is very low,” he said in answers to questions about the potential for Solid Energy to be placed back on the list for partial privatisation.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tourism: China Southern Airlines To Fly To Christchurch

China Southern Airlines, in partnership with Christchurch Airport and the South Island tourism industry, has announced today it will begin flying directly between Guangzhou, Mainland China and the South Island. More>>

ALSO:

Dodgy: Truck Shops Come Under Scrutiny

Mobile traders, or truck shops, target poorer communities, particularly in Auckland, with non-compliant contracts, steep prices and often lower-quality goods than can be bought at ordinary shops, a Commerce Commission investigation has found. More>>

ALSO:

Auckland Transport: Government, Council Agree On Funding Approach

The government and Auckland Council have reached a detente over transport funding, establishing a one-year, collaborative timetable for decisions on funding for the city's transport infrastructure growth in the next 30 years after the government refused to fund the $2 billion of short and medium-term plans outlined in Auckland's draft Unitary Plan. More>>

ALSO:

Bullish On China Shock: Slumping Equities, Commodities May Continue, But Not A GFC

The biggest selloff in stock markets in at least four years, slumping commodity prices and a surge in Wall Street's fear gauge don't mean the world economy is heading for another global financial crisis, fund managers say. More>>

ALSO:

Real Estate: Investors Driving Up Auckland Housing Risk - RBNZ

The growing presence of investors in Auckland's property market is increasing the risks, and is likely to both amplify the housing cycle and worsen the potential damage from a downturn both to the financial system and the broader economy, said Reserve Bank deputy governor Grant Spencer. More>>

ALSO:

Annual Record: Overseas Visitors Hit 3 Million Milestone

Visitor arrivals to New Zealand surpassed 3 million for the first time in the July 2015 year, Statistics New Zealand said today. The record-breaking 3,002,982 visitors this year was 7 percent higher than the July 2014 year. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news