Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Wellington Drive narrows annual loss, tagged by auditor

Wellington Drive narrows annual loss, tagged by auditor

Feb. 28 (BusinessDesk) - Wellington Drive Technologies, which makes energy efficient refrigeration motors, narrowed its annual loss in 2013 in the second year of its turnaround plan, while having its accounts tagged by auditor PwC over its cashflow forecasts.

The Auckland-based company had a net loss of $3.77 million, or 3.49 cents per share, in calendar 2013, down from a loss of $6.33 million, or 8.97 cents, a year earlier, it said in a statement. Sales fell 23 percent to $27.4 million, missing its target of between $30 million and $33 million. Wellington Drive had a loss on an earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation basis of $2.91 million. Last month it said the EBITDA loss would be lower than $3 million.

“Over the last two years we have significantly reduced Wellington’s internal operating costs and supply chain costs,” chief executive Greg Allen said. “We believe the strategic decisions made, and now being executed around East West and other supply chain improvements, will continue to drive cost out of the business and help to improve financial performance.”

Last month the company dropped its goal of breaking even on an EBITDA basis in the 2014 financial year, and will instead target revenue of between $30 million and $35 million. It forecasts a 2014 EBITDA loss of less than $2 million and a net loss below $2.7 million.

Allen said the decision to sacrifice short-term profitability was to accelerate growth plans, and will “ensure it does not forgo new market, new product and new customer opportunities.”

Wellington Drive’s accounts were tagged by auditor PwC, which raised an ‘emphasis of matter’ over its ability to achieve forecast cash flows, which it said was “inherently uncertain” and may require additional funding to keep the company operating as a going concern.

“These conditions indicate the existence of a material uncertainty that may cast significant doubt about the Group’s ability to continue as a going concern,” the auditor’s report said.

The company had an operational cash outflow of $2.45 million in the year, compared to an outflow of $3.45 million in 2012. It raised $5.76 million through a share issue, which helped leave it with cash and equivalents of $2.98 million as at Dec. 31.

The shares were unchanged at 18.5 cents today, and have dropped 23 percent this year.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

ETS Review: Modelling Documents Released

Three technical documents are being released to help New Zealanders engage with the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) review, Climate Change Minister Paula Bennett says. More>>

ALSO:

Northland: Govt Plan Targets Transport, Web, Maori Assets

The government has released a 10-year plan to attract investors and lift economic growth in Northland, a region that perennially underperforms the rest of the country even while being endowed with natural beauty, productive land, minerals, a potential workforce, scope for manufacturing, forestry and aquaculture, and proximity to Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Statistics: Unemployment Rate Falls To 5.3 Percent

The unemployment rate fell to 5.3 percent in the December 2015 quarter (from 6.0 percent), Statistics New Zealand said today. This is the lowest unemployment rate since March 2009. There were 16,000 fewer people unemployed than in the September ... More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Urges Talley’s To End AFFCO Lockout

Labour has urged Talley’s to resolve the ongoing industrial dispute with AFFCO workers which is having a severe effect on the employees, their families and their communities, Labour’s Workplace Relations spokesperson Iain Lees-Galloway says. More>>

ALSO:

Three Kings: Govt To Oppose Appeal Blocking $1.2B Auckland Housing Plan

Environment Minister Nick Smith and Housing New Zealand have joined legal proceedings in support of Auckland Council and Fletcher Building opposing a bid by community groups to only allow low-rise housing in a $1.2 billion housing redevelopment on the disused site of the Three Kings quarry. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Jetstar Expands Regional Network With Three New Routes

More New Zealanders than ever before will have access to Jetstar’s affordable flights when new services take off today from Auckland to New Plymouth and Palmerston North, and Nelson to Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news