Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search


Tertiary Education Strategy Just the Start

Tertiary Education Strategy Just the Start

5 March 2014

The Industry Training Federation welcomes today’s release of the Government’s Tertiary Education Strategy.

“With a clear focus on delivering skills for industry this places industry training organisations at the center of skills development and ensures that New Zealand is well placed for future economic growth” said the Industry Training Chief Executive Mark Oldershaw

“It is encouraging to see vocational education and training taking a much more prominent place in the tertiary education strategy that it has historically. With only 30% of school leavers going on to university education, the tertiary education sector must recognise the importance of vocational training in enabling career opportunities for the other 70%.”

Each year, thousands of employees gain skills, knowledge and qualifications across a vast range of industries through vocational training. “Developing a skilled workforce boosts our economy and improves our quality of life. It is heartening to see ‘delivering skills for industry’ as the first listed priority in the draft strategy”

Mark says the tertiary education sector, industry and Government have a shared responsibility to ensure vocational training continues to make learning really count. “Employers must drive the demand for skills, and the tertiary education sector must respond quickly to that demand.”

Mark warns however that the release of the strategy is just the start of a much wider process. The challenge now for Government and industry alike is to ensure that the mechanisms are in place to show that the strategy can be delivered in an effective and efficient manner. This will require a much for flexible and agile funding model to ensure that tertiary and vocational training institutions are able to react and predict industry skill requirements.

“Tertiary education is now very much driven by the demands of employers rather than just enrolling students with no real consideration for the job or career options ahead.” The success or otherwise of this strategy will be determined by meeting the needs of employers and providing graduates with sustainable careers within New Zealand. This is where the Government’s legacy within tertiary education will ultimately be measured.”

The Industry Training Federation is a voluntary membership organisation representing all of New Zealand's Industry TrainingOrganisations.


© Scoop Media

Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines


Postnatal Depression: 'The Thief That Steals Motherhood' - Alison McCulloch

Post-natal depression is a sly and cruel illness, described by one expert as ‘the thief that steals motherhood’, it creeps up on its victims, hiding behind the stress and exhaustion of being a new parent, catching many women unaware and unprepared. More>>


DIY: Kiwi Ingenuity And Masking Tape Saves Chick

Kiwi ingenuity and masking tape has saved a Kiwi chick after its egg was badly damaged endangering the chick's life. The egg was delivered to Kiwi Encounter at Rainbow Springs in Rotorua 14 days ago by a DOC worker with a large hole in its shell and against all odds has just successfully hatched. More>>


Trade: Key To Lead Mission To India; ASEAN FTA Review Announced

Prime Minister John Key will lead a trade delegation to India next week, saying the pursuit of a free trade agreement with the protectionist giant is "the primary reason we're going" but playing down the likelihood of early progress. More>>



MYOB: Digital Signatures Go Live

From today, Inland Revenue will begin accepting “digital signatures”, saving businesses and their accountants a huge amount of administration time and further reducing the need for pen and paper in the workplace. More>>

Oil Searches: Norway's Statoil Quits Reinga Basin

Statoil, the Norwegian state-owned oil company, has given up oil and gas exploration in Northland's Reinga Basin, saying the probably of a find was 'too low'. More>>


Modern Living: Auckland Development Blowouts Reminiscent Of Run Up To GFC

The collapse of property developments in Auckland is "almost groundhog day" to the run-up of the global financial crisis in 2007/2008 as banks refuse to fund projects due to blowouts in construction and labour costs, says John Kensington, the author of KPMG's Financial Institutions Performance Survey. More>>


Health: New Zealand's First ‘No Sugary Drinks’ Logo Unveiled

New Zealand’s first “no sugary drinks logo” has been unveiled at an event in Wellington... It will empower communities around New Zealand to lift their health and wellbeing and send a clear message about the damage caused by too much sugar in our diets. More>>


Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news