Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


CORRECT: TVNZ committed to Igloo, misses targets

CORRECT: TVNZ committed to Igloo despite failing to meet subscription targets

(Fixes source of Igloo subscriptions in 2nd graph, adds Igloo impairment in 5th graph)

By Suze Metherell

March 6 (BusinessDesk) – State-owned broadcaster Television New Zealand is committed to Igloo, its joint venture with pay-TV operator Sky Network Television, despite writing down its stake and missing subscription targets.

TVNZ chief executive Kevin Kenrick told Parliament’s commerce select committee the broadcaster anticipates it will be a longer wait of the Igloo joint venture to start making money, which was why the company wrote down the value of the investment last week. TVNZ had previously told the committee it expected Igloo would take between four and six years to breakeven. National Party MP Chris Tremain said there were about 6,000 subscribers, short of the forecast 15,000.

“Entering into a pay-TV business is not for the faint hearted, there is a long period of investment,” Kenrick said. “The reason we’ve taken the impairment is because we think the indication is that it is going to take longer than what we originally thought for Igloo to be a profitable business.”

“A lot of these new technology businesses you’ve got to be in the long haul really for the results to come through,” he said.

TVNZ invested $12.25 million for a 49 percent share in Igloo in 2012, but reduced its shareholding size to 34 percent last year. The broadcaster recognised a $6.1 million impairment and loss from associates in the six months ended Dec. 31, saying it wrote down its remaining investment of $4 million in Igloo due to the uncertainty of when future profits from the budget set-top box venture with Sky TV might be seen.

When asked whether TVNZ was repeating the same mistake it made with previous failed subscription service, TiVo, head of television Jeff Latch said TiVo probably failed “because it was using to some degree very old technology, so that was an investment that wasn’t well founded.”

“The decision to go into Igloo was the right one, as it does now give the company the opportunity to participate in a particular market segment that we’re not currently in,” Latch said.

TVNZ affirmed it was on track to reach its 2014 financial year guidance of $16.8 million, and said it was continuing to look for expansion opportunities as it competed in an increasingly “dynamic” market.

In September last year SkyCity Entertainment Group bought prime real estate from TVNZ for $10.6 million. The Auckland land deal saw TVNZ sell off its Hobson St sites which sit directly opposite land already owned by the casino operator.

In tandem with the SkyCity deal, the broadcaster reached an agreement with government last year for a dividend relief to cover refurbishment costs of its main Auckland building on Victoria St West.

Kenrick would not be drawn on what the refurbishments will cost the company, saying he expected that once completed it would reduce maintenance costs.

TVNZ management was questioned over an internal investigation into the use of its building for political meetings by former general manager of Maori and Pacific programmes Shane Taurima, who unsuccessfully sought the Labour Party’s candidacy for the Ikaroa-Rawhiti by-election last year.

Kenrick said he was “absolutely gutted” over the potential misuse of the resources.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Crown Accounts: Government Ekes Out Six-Month Surplus Of $9M

The New Zealand government eked out a tiny surplus in the first six months of the fiscal year as growth in domestic consumption lifted the goods and services tax take, while uncertainties over the Kaikoura earthquake costs meant expenses were less than expected. More>>

ALSO:

Almost 400 Jobs: Shock At Cadbury's Dunedin Factory Closure

Workers at Cadbury in Dunedin are reeling after learning this morning that the iconic Cadbury factory is to close, with the loss of almost 400 jobs... “The company had reported it was doing well and this has come out of the blue,” says Chas. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Boards Of Inquiry For Auckland Roading Projects

Boards of Inquiry have been appointed to decide on two significant Auckland roading projects in a move which will get a decision by the end of the year, Environment Minister Dr Nick Smith and Conservation Minister Maggie Barry announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Three Months On: Quake Reciovery In Kaikōura And Elsewhere

Three months after the magnitude 7.8 earthquake on 14 November, encouraging recovery progress is being made in affected communities. More>>

ALSO:

Jetstar, Qantas For Govt Transport: Government Still In Talks With Air NZ

The government is still negotiating with national carrier Air New Zealand in a cross-agency air travel contract that will add a number of new airlines to the list of approved flyers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news