Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Postie Plus expects narrower annual loss

Postie Plus expects narrower annual loss; first-half sales slide 9.9%

March 11 (BusinessDesk) - Postie Plus, whose shares have plunged 44 percent over the past 12 months, expects to narrow its annual loss as it tries to revive profitability.

The retailer expects to have a “significant” net loss before tax in the year ending Aug. 3, though smaller than last year’s loss of $10.6 million, the Auckland-based company said in a statement. The forecast came as the company said sales fell 9.9 percent to $39 million in the six months ended Feb. 3 while gross margins improved.

Postie Plus has struggled to deal with the poorly executed outsourcing of a purpose-built distribution centre in Mangere when it relocated to Auckland in 2012, where it saw greater opportunities. The disruption to its supply chain put the operation under pressure, leaving it with too much debt and limited cash flow.

“The ‘profit improvement plan’ set in motion at the start of last year continues to deliver against our targets and we are confident it will continue to do so,” chief executive Richard Binns said. “We are now reviewing sales by category and removing non-performing items.”

The first-half period doesn’t capture the retailer’s sale of its SchoolTex school uniform brand, which was bought by Warehouse Group for $9 million. Postie Plus will use the cash to repay debt, and has been given space by its lenders until July 2014 with an extension of its credit facilities.

The shares were unchanged at 9 cents today, and have dropped 22 percent this year. That values the retailer at $3.6 million.

Postie Plus will report its first-half result by April 1.

(BusinessDesk)


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Research: ‘Ageing Well’ Science Challenge Launched

Science and Innovation Minister Steven Joyce today launched the Ageing Well National Science Challenge, confirming initial funding of $14.6 million. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Govt Resisting Pressure To Pump More Cash Into Solid Energy

Prime Minister John Key says it is “not the government’s preferred option” to make a fresh capital injection into the troubled state-owned coal miner, Solid Energy, but dodged journalists’ questions at his weekly press conference on whether that might prove necessary... More>>

ALSO:

Lagest Ever Privacy Breach Award: NZCU Baywide Accepts “Severe” Censure In Cake Case

NZCU Baywide says that once it was found to have committed a breach of a former staff member’s privacy, it had attempted to resolve the matter... the censure and remedies for its actions taken almost three years ago are “severe” but accepted, and will hopefully draw a line under the matter. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: PayPal Stops Processing Mega Payments; NZX Listing Still On

PayPal has ceased processing payments for Mega, the file storage and encryption firm looking to join the New Zealand stock market via a reverse listing of TRS Investments, amid claims it is not a legitimate cloud storage service. More>>

ALSO:

Housing Policy: Auckland Densification As Popular As Ebola, English Says

Finance Minister Bill English said calls by the Reserve Bank Governor for more densification in Auckland’s housing were “about as popular in parts of Auckland as Ebola” would be. More>>

ALSO:

Crown Accounts: NZ Government Deficit Smaller Than Expected In First Half

The New Zealand government's operating deficit was smaller than expected in the first six months of the financial year, as the consumption and corporate tax take rose ahead of forecast in December, having lagged estimates in previous months. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news