Sheep and beef farmers support Beef + Lamb NZ resolutions
20 March 2014
Sheep and beef farmers support Beef + Lamb New Zealand Annual Meeting remits and resolutions
Sheep and beef farmers have supported all of the farmer remits and resolutions put to the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Annual Meeting, held in Feilding last Friday.
The company resolutions put forward by Beef + Lamb
New Zealand included:-
• No change to the maximum annual aggregate remuneration to be paid to directors, set at $320,250 for the year to September 2014.
• Reappoint KPMG as the Beef + Lamb New Zealand auditor for 2014.
• The formation of Beef + Lamb New Zealand Genetics, where Beef + Lamb New Zealand combines its current genetics investments into one entity and accesses an increased financial contribution from the Government through to 2018.
The farmer remits put forward by farmers as a
means of testing farmer opinion and to guide their
organisation’s board included:-
• Use of remaining wool levies to prepare a business case and referendum proposal for a new wool levy. Put forward by the independent Wool Levy Review Group.
• Provide funding to the Meat Industry Excellence (MIE) group to secure red meat sector reform as indicated in the Red Meat Sector Strategy. Put forward by Meat Industry Excellence.
Electionz.com conducted the vote on behalf of Beef + Lamb New Zealand and they reported the following results:-
Resolution 1 –
(one person, one vote)
|Votes by Farmer||2,279||71||74||27|
|Votes as a % of Famers who voted||92.98%||2.90%||3.02%||1.10%|
2 – KPMG be re-appointed as Auditor
(one person, one vote)
|Votes by Farmer||2,301||70||40||40|
|Votes as a % of Famers who voted||93.88%||2.86%||1.63%||1.63%|
3 – Investment in B+LNZ Genetics Ltd
|Votes by declared livestock numbers||43,564||1,844||9,329||991|
|Votes as a % of declared livestock numbers||78.17%||3.31%||16.74%||1.78%|
Remit – Wool Levy Group
(sheep farmer weighted vote)
|Votes by declared sheep livestock numbers||22,992||1,081||9,131||692|
|Votes as a % of declared sheep livestock numbers||67.83%||3.19%||26.94%||2.04%|
Remit – Meat Industry Excellence Group
|Votes by declared livestock numbers||34,271||2,583||17,914||960|
|Votes as a % of declared livestock numbers||61.49%||4.64%||32.15%||1.72%|
The number of farmers voting was 14.30%, being 2,451 valid votes received from 17,142 farmers on the B+LNZ voting register. The weighted voting percentage represents 24% of the potential total weighted vote based on sheep (30.9 million), beef (3.69 million) and dairy (6.44 million) livestock numbers at 30 June 2013, Electionz.com reported.
The results of the farmer remits will be considered by the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Board when it meets in April.
About Beef + Lamb New Zealand:
Beef + Lamb New Zealand Ltd is the farmer-owned industry organisation representing sheep and beef farmers. By Farmers. For Farmers. Beef + Lamb New Zealand Ltd works to support a confident and profitable sheep and beef industry by helping farmers make informed business decisions and promoting their collective interests.