Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Kim Dotcom loses Supreme Court bid to access US evidence

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom loses Supreme Court bid to access US evidence against him

March 21 (BusinessDesk) - Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom lost his Supreme Court bid to access US government evidence against him ahead of his extradition hearing to face charges in the US related to operating websites used to illegally distribute copyrighted content such as music and movies.

In a decision released today, the Supreme Court in Wellington ruled by a majority that an earlier decision by the District Court was wrong to order the US to disclose more information than was provided in its ‘record of the case’ summary. Chief Justice Sian Elias dissented from the majority.

The Supreme Court’s decision upholds an earlier ruling by the Appeal Court after the High Court sided with the District Court, saying the relevant documents should be handed over. German-born Dotcom, who now lives in New Zealand, along with his co-accused, Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk, are facing extradition to the US on charges related to their file sharing website which the US government alleges encouraged users to upload copyright works for others to download.

“A record of the case must include a summary of the evidence relied on and, in this case, that has been provided,” Justice John McGrath said in the Supreme Court judgment. “It does not have to summarise all evidential material that the state may rely on at a trial. No basis in law has been shown for the appellants to seek further disclosure or information concerning the case against them.”

Justice Elias argued that the District Court had the right to seek more information than the ‘record of the case’ summary in exceptional cases.

Costs were reserved.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Finance: Major Campaign To End "Gross Overtaxation Of Savings"

The campaign – which includes a special web site through which New Zealanders can e-mail their own and other MPs and party leaders – is backed by Age Concern, Consumer NZ, the Financial Services Council and the Taxpayers’ Union. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Leighton-Led WGP To Build, Manage Transmission Gully

The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Gareth Morgan: The Government’s Fresh Water Policy – Revisited

Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>

ALSO:

Interest Rates: RBNZ Hikes OCR To 3.5%, ‘Period Of Assessment’ Now Needed

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Canpac Site 'Resize' To Focus More On Paediatrics

Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Postie Plus Brand Gets 2nd Chance With Well-Funded Pepkor

The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news