Marlborough’s Versatility Shines
March 24, 2014
• Marlborough Takes Champion Wine At Easter Show
• 10 of 14 Trophies Go To Marlborough wines
Marlborough wines across eight varieties took out trophies at the weekend’s Easter Show Wine Awards.
On top of that, a Marlborough wine was awarded Champion Wine of the Show and a Marlborough winemaker was judged top in his field.
It was a big night for Villa Maria, with their Single Vineyard Taylors Pass Chardonnay 2012 winning the Chardonnay trophy, plus Champion Wine of the Show. The man behind making that wine, George Geris was named Winemaker of the Year.
Other Marlborough varieties to shine at the oldest wine show in New Zealand were; sparkling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, sweet wine, Pinot Noir and Syrah. The last being a major surprise, given the Hawke’s Bay dominance in this category in recent years.
Wine Marlborough’s General Manager Marcus Pickens said the awards once again confirmed the ability of the region to produce an array of high quality wines.
“We are well known for our Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir, but to see the other aromatics doing so well is a real highlight. Add to that we have taken the trophy for sparkling and Syrah and it shows the versatility of this region,” Mr Pickens said.
“The other pleasing aspect is the winning wines do not cover just one vintage. The trophies went to wines from 2009 right through until 2013, which confirms that Marlborough consistently produces great wines.”
Marlborough had already dominated the initial Easter Wine Show results, having won 52 of the 79 gold medals.
The Trophy Winners from the Easter Show
• Champion Wine of the Show and Champion Chardonnay – Villa Maria Single Vineyard Taylors Pass Chardonnay 2012
• Winemaker of the Year – George Geris – Villa Maria Estate
• Champion Sparkling – Deutz Marlborough Cuvée Blanc de Blancs 2009
• Champion Gewürztraminer – Grove Mill Wairau Valley Gewürztraminer 2013
• Champion Pinot Gris – Wairau River Pinot Gris 2013
• Champion Sauvignon Blanc – Vavasour Awatere Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2013
• Champion Sweet Wine – Tohu Raiha Reserve Limited Release Noble Riesling 2013
• Champion Pinot Noir – Saint Clair Pioneer Block 22 Barn Block Pinot Noir 2012
• Champion Syrah – Giesen The Brothers Marlborough Syrah 2011