Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Coddington article is ill-informed and wrong

23 March 2014

Media Release

Coddington article is ill-informed and wrong

Southern Response is concerned at misinformation promoted in an opinion piece by Deborah Coddington in the Sunday Star Times. The assertions in the article surrounding Southern Response’s completion statistics and percentages are simply not correct.

“What is most disappointing about this type of commentary is that it can only be intended to undermine confidence in the residential recovery in Canterbury” said Peter Rose, CEO of Southern Response.

“It would not have taken a lot of effort for Ms Coddington to speak to staff or view our website to understand the progress in our build programme and seeing the number of our customers that have already fully settled their claims with us,” said Peter Rose, CEO of Southern Response.


As at 28 February, Southern Response had fully settled 2,840 over cap claims (of 6,841). Of that number of fully settled claims, Southern Response has completed 347 repairs and rebuilds.

Nearly 3,000 customers have elected to be part of the Southern Response build programme. In addition to the 347 builds already completed, 394 Southern Response customers have completed the detailed planning process and their house is currently under construction.

Another 1,077 Southern Response customers are in the immediate precursor to construction, which is detailed planning and design, this group of our customers are working with Southern Response and Arrow claims staff, designers, engineers and builder - preparing the necessary detailed documentation and paperwork to submit to local authorities in preparation for giving the go-ahead to build.

Southern Response learnt early that detailed planning and design needs to be supported by good preparatory work, understanding the possible challenges that the land and dwelling may present in the post-earthquake environment.

All other Southern Response customers in our build programme are currently moving through the ‘pre-design’ phase, dealing with technical issues with the site or dwelling and solving them before moving the house claim into detailed planning and design.

“You do have to ask yourself when you read articles like this, what is the author trying to achieve?” said Rose.

“We have offered many times for commentators to come meet with us and would happily have extended that invitation to Ms Coddington. We’d had no direct contact from Coddington and the content in the article reflected that,” said Rose.

http://www.southernresponse.co.nz/rebuild/our-progress/progress-to-the-end-of-february-2014/


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news