Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Bridgecorp receiver still eyeing third party claims

Bridgecorp receiver still eyeing third party claims

By Paul McBeth

March 27 (BusinessDesk) - The receivers for Bridgecorp are still actively pursuing potential claims against third parties, having cut an $18.9 million deal with the directors and insurer of the failed lender.

PwC’s Colin McCloy is working with legal counsel to chase third parties in the lead-up to the 2007 collapse of Bridgecorp, although he wasn’t able to give an update on how long the investigations will take, according to his latest report on the receivership.

“We continue to actively pursue a number of potential claims against third parties in respect of their conduct prior to the receivership,” McCloy’s report said. “These claims involve complex legal issues and we are unable to accurately predict a timeframe for their resolution.”

Earlier this month the receiver settled a civil claim with the former Bridgecorp directors, boosting the payout to debenture holders by 4 cents, which is expected to be paid in April.

Investors have so far been repaid 8 cents in the dollar, or $36.6 million, and once the remaining issues in the receivership are settled investors are expected to get a “modest distribution,” McCloy said. He had previously advised investors were likely to get less than 10 cents in the dollar.

The deal came after the Supreme Court last year set aside a Court of Appeal decision to let former Bridgecorp directors Peter Steigrad, Bruce Davidson and Gary Urwin use their directors and officers liability (D&O) policy to cover their defence ahead of repaying investors, freeing up some $20 million to be claimed.

When Bridgecorp collapsed in 2007 it owed some 14,400 investors about $459 million. Since the collapse, the receivers have achieved total realisations of $89.8 million as at Jan. 1 of the $595.3 million book value ascribed to Bridgecorp in June 2007, including intercompany loans.

The Momi Resort development in Fiji created a big hole for the receivers, with no realisations achieved from the $106.6 million advances.

Bridgecorp’s former managing director Rod Petricevic and chief financial officer Rob Roest received lengthy jail terms for misleading investors and making false statements, with an extra time added over charges brought by the Series Fraud Office. Steigrad and Davidson received home detention and Urwin was sentenced to two years’ jail.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tourism: China Southern Airlines To Fly To Christchurch

China Southern Airlines, in partnership with Christchurch Airport and the South Island tourism industry, has announced today it will begin flying directly between Guangzhou, Mainland China and the South Island. More>>

ALSO:

Dodgy: Truck Shops Come Under Scrutiny

Mobile traders, or truck shops, target poorer communities, particularly in Auckland, with non-compliant contracts, steep prices and often lower-quality goods than can be bought at ordinary shops, a Commerce Commission investigation has found. More>>

ALSO:

Auckland Transport: Government, Council Agree On Funding Approach

The government and Auckland Council have reached a detente over transport funding, establishing a one-year, collaborative timetable for decisions on funding for the city's transport infrastructure growth in the next 30 years after the government refused to fund the $2 billion of short and medium-term plans outlined in Auckland's draft Unitary Plan. More>>

ALSO:

Bullish On China Shock: Slumping Equities, Commodities May Continue, But Not A GFC

The biggest selloff in stock markets in at least four years, slumping commodity prices and a surge in Wall Street's fear gauge don't mean the world economy is heading for another global financial crisis, fund managers say. More>>

ALSO:

Real Estate: Investors Driving Up Auckland Housing Risk - RBNZ

The growing presence of investors in Auckland's property market is increasing the risks, and is likely to both amplify the housing cycle and worsen the potential damage from a downturn both to the financial system and the broader economy, said Reserve Bank deputy governor Grant Spencer. More>>

ALSO:

Annual Record: Overseas Visitors Hit 3 Million Milestone

Visitor arrivals to New Zealand surpassed 3 million for the first time in the July 2015 year, Statistics New Zealand said today. The record-breaking 3,002,982 visitors this year was 7 percent higher than the July 2014 year. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news