Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Quick decision bags Auckland man $1 million

1 April 2014

Quick decision bags Auckland man $1 million

A spur of the moment purchase has left an Auckland man $1 million richer after winning Lotto First Division on Saturday night.

The winner only buys Lotto tickets occasionally, but decided to pick one up on a whim after spotting a Lotto store while out shopping last week.

“I usually only buy Lotto tickets when the jackpot is really high, but for some reason when I walked by a Lotto shop last week I just decided to pick one up,” explained the winner.

With his ticket safely tucked in his wallet, the winner checked his ticket late on Saturday night while out with friends.

“For some reason, I checked my ticket around 11 o’clock that night. I pulled up the winning numbers on my mobile, and realised pretty quickly that I had them all.

“Since I was out I had to try really hard to contain my excitement – I just slipped my ticket back in my wallet and tried to act like my life hadn’t just changed,” the winner laughed.

After a restless Sunday, the winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, visited Lotto NZ’s Auckland office to claim his prize in person.

“I was pretty nervous about the win, so it’s fair to say I didn’t get a lot done at work on Monday morning! But as soon as I stepped into the Lotto office it all came together – it just felt right.

“As I handed over the little yellow piece of paper it really hit me that my life was about to change and all these doors would open up. It’s an incredible feeling.”

The winning ticket was sold at Mitchell’s Paper Power in Northcote.

The Lotto First Division jackpot of $2 million was shared by two Lotto players from Auckland and Christchurch.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news