Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


MPI finds another Queensland fruit fly in Whangarei

MPI finds another Queensland fruit fly in Whangarei

April 3 (BusinessDesk) – A second Queensland fruit fly has been trapped at a site in Whangarei just 400 metres from where another single example of the insect was found in January.

While the latest discovery is not thought to be related to the January incident, the Ministry for Primary Industries said it was reviewing its processes in light of a recent surge in Queensland fruit fly populations in Australia.

Queensland fruit fly is a notifiable organism in New Zealand, with the potential to damage a wide range of fruit and vegetable crops.

“All our information at this stage tells us this detection is a new find and not related to the January incident,” the deputy director general for compliance and response at the Ministry for Primary Industries, Andrew Coleman, said in a statement.

“The Ministry is aware that fruit fly populations have dramatically increased in Australia in recent months and in light of the previous Whangarei find, we have been reviewing our importing requirements for fruit fly risk goods.”

The fly was caught in a surveillance trap in the Parihaka area of Whangarei on Tuesday and formally identified yesterday. A controlled area to restrict the movement of fruit and vegetables is being defined around the area.

“Queensland fruit fly has been found four times in New Zealand previously, including the January Whangarei detection. In all these earlier cases, increased trapping found no further flies,” said Coleman.

MPI field teams are setting additional traps in the area to determine whether it is a solitary find or part of a wider population. The most likely way that fruit fly can arrive in New Zealand is in fresh fruit and vegetables.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Constructions Builds: Consents Top $2 Billion For The First Time

Building consents reached a record $2 billion in March 2017, boosted by new homes and several big non-residential projects, Stats NZ said today. This was up 37 percent compared with March 2016. More>>

Other Stats:

Health: Work Underway To Address Antimicrobial Resistance

As part of a global response the Ministries of Health and Primary Industries have today jointly published ‘Antimicrobial Resistance: New Zealand’s current situation and identified areas for action’ to respond to the changing pattern of antimicrobial resistance in New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Vodafone Announces Family Violence Policy To Support Team

From today, any of Vodafone’s 3,000 workers affected by family violence will be eligible for a range of practical support, including up to 10 additional days of paid leave per year. More>>

Burning Up Over Saturn: Cassini's Grand Finale

With propellant running low, NASA scientists are concerned that the probe might accidentally crash into one of Saturn’s nearby moons, which could contaminate it with Earthling bacteria stuck to the spacecraft. Instead, the spacecraft will be safely "disposed" in Saturn's atmosphere. More>>

ALSO:

Our Fresh Water: Monitoring Report Confirms Serious Challenges For Rivers

• nitrogen levels are getting worse at 55 percent and getting better at 28 percent of monitored river sites across New Zealand • phosphorus levels are getting better at 42 percent and getting worse at 25 percent of monitored river sites across New Zealand More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news