Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Ministry of Education pursues Carter Holt over leaky schools

NZ Ministry of Education pursues Carter Holt over leaky schools

By Suze Metherell

April 9 (BusinessDesk) – The New Zealand Ministry of Education will continue to pursue a leaky schools lawsuit against Carter Holt Harvey after the wood company owned by Graeme Hart’s Rank Group failed in an attempt to have the claim quashed.

The claim concerns CHH’s supply of faulty wall cladding material used in New Zealand schools. CHH failed to have the ministry’s product liability claim struck off in the High Court last week, associate education minister Nikki Kaye said in a statement.

The ministry filed the proceedings last year as it embarked on a remediation programme on 800 buildings across more than 300 schools, with an estimated cost of some $1.5 billion.

The government has settled more than 40 claims relating to leaky buildings and the ministry was the first government agency to lodge a major product liability claim. It has reached out of court settlements with Australian manufacturers James Hardie and CSR Building Products.

Specific details of the settlements and ongoing legal action are confidential and have not been revealed, Kaye said.

The ministry’s continued legal action comes after CHH was order to pay $1.85 million by the High Court for price fixing in the Auckland commercial timber market, where it had entered into an understanding with Fletcher Building’s distribution arm in late 2012 to fix prices for the supply of structural timber to commercial customers in Auckland.

Fletcher’s distribution arm Placemakers was granted immunity after it discovered its involvement in the price fixing last year, told the Commerce Commission and cooperated with the investigation.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Finance: Major Campaign To End "Gross Overtaxation Of Savings"

The campaign – which includes a special web site through which New Zealanders can e-mail their own and other MPs and party leaders – is backed by Age Concern, Consumer NZ, the Financial Services Council and the Taxpayers’ Union. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Leighton-Led WGP To Build, Manage Transmission Gully

The Wellington Gateway Partnership, led by a unit of ASX-listed Leighton Holdings, has won the $1 billion contract to build the Transmission Gully road north of Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Gareth Morgan: The Government’s Fresh Water Policy – Revisited

Fresh water quality is the latest area to be in the sights of Gareth Morgan and his research organisation The Morgan Foundation... They found that the fresh water policy was a bit murkier than the Environment Minister let on. More>>

ALSO:

Interest Rates: RBNZ Hikes OCR To 3.5%, ‘Period Of Assessment’ Now Needed

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler raised the official cash rate as expected, while signalling a pause in rate hikes to assess the impact of moves so far this year. The kiwi dollar sank after Wheeler said its strength was “unjustified” and that the currency could have “a significant fall.” More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Canpac Site 'Resize' To Focus More On Paediatrics

Fonterra is looking at realigning its packing operations at Canpac, in the Waikato, to focus more on paediatric nutritionals... The proposed changes could mean around 110 roles may not be required at the site which currently employs 330. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Postie Plus Brand Gets 2nd Chance With Well-Funded Pepkor

The Postie Plus brand is getting a new lease of life after South Africa’s Pepkor bought the failed retailer’s assets out of administration and said it will use its purchasing power to reduce costs of stock and fatten margins. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Computer Power Plus

Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news