Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


OceanaGold 1Q profit soars as Didipio operation ramps up

OceanaGold 1Q profit soars as Didipio operation comes on stream

April 30 (BusinessDesk) - OceanaGold, which operates the Macraes goldfield in Otago, boosted first-quarter profit by 730 percent as its Didipio operation in the Philippines came on steam with new gold and copper production.

Net profit jumped to US$58.9 million in the three months ended March 31 from US$7.1 million a year earlier, the Melbourne-based company said in a statement. Revenue surged 78 percent to a record US$170.4 million, with more than half of its sales from the Philippines. Gold production was 86,568 ounces, with 30,480 ounces from the Didipio operation.

“We had another strong quarter of production and financial results with record quarterly, Ebitda (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) and net earnings on the back of higher sales and lower operating costs,” managing director Mick Wilkes said. “The Didipio process plant is well on track to increase throughput rates to 3.5 Mtpa (million tons per annum) by the end of the year and will continue generating strong free cash flows.”

OceanaGold wrote down the value of its New Zealand operations last year, with the Macraes set to close in 2017 and the Reefton mine to be mothballed next year. In the face of declining gold prices the miner is winding down its New Zealand interests to focus on its Philippines gold and copper operations. The spot gold price has declined 11 percent in the past 12 months, and fallen 22 percent over the past two years.

Mining at the Macraes operation was suspended this month after a pit wall failure, though the company doesn’t expect that to impact on its 2014 production guidance.

OceanaGold still anticipates gold production to be in the range of 275,000 and 305,000 ounces, a drop-off due to the decline in its Macraes operations. Copper production is forecast between 21,000 to 24,000 tonnes.

The shares, which are also listed in Australia and Canada, fell 3.6 percent to $2.64 on the NZX yesterday, having climbed 54 percent this year.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

ETS Review: Modelling Documents Released

Three technical documents are being released to help New Zealanders engage with the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) review, Climate Change Minister Paula Bennett says. More>>

ALSO:

Northland: Govt Plan Targets Transport, Web, Maori Assets

The government has released a 10-year plan to attract investors and lift economic growth in Northland, a region that perennially underperforms the rest of the country even while being endowed with natural beauty, productive land, minerals, a potential workforce, scope for manufacturing, forestry and aquaculture, and proximity to Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Statistics: Unemployment Rate Falls To 5.3 Percent

The unemployment rate fell to 5.3 percent in the December 2015 quarter (from 6.0 percent), Statistics New Zealand said today. This is the lowest unemployment rate since March 2009. There were 16,000 fewer people unemployed than in the September ... More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Urges Talley’s To End AFFCO Lockout

Labour has urged Talley’s to resolve the ongoing industrial dispute with AFFCO workers which is having a severe effect on the employees, their families and their communities, Labour’s Workplace Relations spokesperson Iain Lees-Galloway says. More>>

ALSO:

Three Kings: Govt To Oppose Appeal Blocking $1.2B Auckland Housing Plan

Environment Minister Nick Smith and Housing New Zealand have joined legal proceedings in support of Auckland Council and Fletcher Building opposing a bid by community groups to only allow low-rise housing in a $1.2 billion housing redevelopment on the disused site of the Three Kings quarry. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Jetstar Expands Regional Network With Three New Routes

More New Zealanders than ever before will have access to Jetstar’s affordable flights when new services take off today from Auckland to New Plymouth and Palmerston North, and Nelson to Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news