Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Tampering with Work Site Safety Barriers Puts Safety at Risk

Tampering with Work Site Safety Barriers Puts Public Safety at Risk

Monday 26 May 2014 – Electricity distributor Unison Networks is highly concerned after discovering vandalism of work sites along Kennedy Road in Napier this morning.

Unison Group Chief Executive Officer, Ken Sutherland said vandals had put public safety at risk by pushing safety barriers into trenches along Kennedy Road in Napier, where the Company was currently working to underground electrical services.

“This morning our crews arrived to find that safety barriers and temporary traffic light equipment had been pushed into work site trenches, leaving both foot traffic and vehicles vulnerable to work site safety hazards.

“Public safety is paramount to Unison, and we take great care to ensure the appropriate traffic management and site safety plans have been implemented to protect the public from any potential hazards created by our network management projects.”

Mr Sutherland said the work sites were now safe, after Unison employees took immediate action to restore equipment to its proper location, but the Company would today be contacting residents in the vicinity to warn them of the vandalism risk, and provide important safety information.

“Our message to the public is that if you see anyone tampering with safety barriers or accessing a work site unauthorised, to call Unison and the Police immediately, and keep clear until Unison deems the area safe.

“We ask the public to please be vigilant for work site safety hazards and ensure children are aware of the safety risks of electricity, as well as playing around works sites.”

Further safety information can be found at www.unison.co.nz, or call 0800 2 UNISON to report any safety concerns.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Auckland Port Study: Port To Ship Out – No Departure Date

Interest groups in Auckland and its waterfront chose a group of representatives to determine the future of the port. Their consensus is that the Port is going to have to move but not before a credible location is confirmed... More>>

ALSO:

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Other Centres' Convention Centres:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news