Slingshot urges Kiwis to update security software for virus
June 3, 2014
Slingshot urges Kiwis to update security software as virus sweeps globe
ISP Slingshot is working with NZ Police and international agencies to proactively defend customers from a serious malware attack that is sweeping the globe.
Called GameOver Zeus, the virus lays dormant until it spots an opportunity to steal personal details such as online banking information and passwords.
Slingshot and CallPlus Chief Technology Officer Adrian Dick said the ISP has been proactively blocking thousands of sites after it was contacted by authorities over the weekend.
“GameOver Zeus is a large, sophisticated and potentially very damaging virus.
“Over the weekend, we have blocked thousands of randomly generated domains, and will update these further as we are advised of new ones by the Police and international authorities.
“We believe the actions of ISPs will hold off problems for a couple of weeks, but it’s a cat and mouse game. The criminals behind the virus will be looking for ways around our actions. The most effective way for people to protect themselves is by using a good-quality anti-virus service.”
Mr Dick says that Slingshot is contacting all customers advising them to ensure that their anti-virus is up-to-date. It’s also offering customers a free trial of the NOD32 security service.
• Use a reputable Anti-Virus software
• Run a scan of all your computers. A list of free scanning software is available here: http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-150A
• Make sure your software – including your operating system - is all up to date
• Use complex passwords that include numbers, capitals, lowercase and special characters
• Use different passwords for different systems (if one gets hacked then your other online logins can remain safe)
Slingshot is proudly 100% Kiwi owned and operated, and is the third largest ISP in New Zealand. Slingshot has deployed the largest Unbundled Local Loop network in New Zealand, having built access to over 150 exchanges throughout New Zealand. Slingshot is focused on delivering a great kiwi service and creating local jobs with all staff, including the Contact Centre, based in New Zealand.