Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Aucklanders Prefer Sale of Car-Park Over Queen Elizabeth Sq

Aucklanders Prefer Sale of Car-Park Over Queen Elizabeth Square


The two kiwi businessmen who have made an unconditional offer of $75 million cash to buy a downtown car-parking building from Auckland Council will meet with Auckland Mayor Len Brown and senior council officers on Monday morning to discuss their proposal.


The offer, by the Auckland entrepreneurs behind the city’s landmark City Works Depot precinct, James Brown, 39 of Freemans Bay, and Simon Rowntree, 39 of Orakei, is $10 million above valuation and expires at close of business on Friday.


“This is an outstanding offer from the council’s perspective: cash, unconditional, with a quick settlement and a legally binding commitment not to increase casual parking prices above the rate of inflation for at least five years. It is also clearly well above valuation, as evidenced by no other property investor coming forward to match it over the last 24 hours,” a spokesperson for Mr Brown and Mr Rowntree said today.


“James and Simon are very encouraged by the mayor agreeing to meet them and their lawyers so quickly after they made their offer, and by his comments on TV3’s The Nation this morning that he is open to divesting the car-park to help fast-track his Auckland City Rail Link, which they strongly support.”


The spokesperson said Mr Brown and Mr Rowntree were also encouraged by a UMR Research poll of 500 Aucklanders that they commissioned, which indicated a majority is much more comfortable with the Council divesting the car-park to Auckland businesspeople than Queen Elizabeth Square or Queen’s Wharf to foreign investors.


The poll, carried out last week before the offer was made public, found that while Aucklanders tend to oppose asset sales, they are very much more opposed to selling Queen Elizabeth Square or Queen’s Wharf than the car-parking building.


While 62% of Aucklanders oppose selling Queen Elizabeth Square and 56% oppose selling Queen’s Wharf, only 41% oppose the sale of the car-parking building, and 32% support it.


When asked which asset they would prefer sold to help fund the rail link, 51% opted for the car-parking building, with just 21% choosing Queen’s Wharf and 15% favouring Queen Elizabeth Square.


When asked who they would be comfortable selling an asset to, 91% said Auckland business interests, 41% said they would be comfortable seeing assets sold to Australian business interests and only 28% would be comfortable with Chinese business interests.


In his comments on The Nation this morning, the mayor appeared open-minded about the process to manage the sale, although he suggested it might be protracted.


“James and Simon’s offer expires at close of business on Friday and they will not participate in a protracted process. This matter will need to be resolved this week,” the spokesperson said.


END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Lower Levy For Safer Cars: ACC Backtracks On Safety Assessments

Dog and Lemon: “The ACC has based the entire levy system on a set of badly flawed data from Monash University. This Monash data is riddled with errors and false assumptions; that’s the real reason for the multiple mistakes in setting ACC levies.” More>>

ALSO:

Fast Track: TPP Negotiations Set To Accelerate, Groser Says

Negotiations for the Trans-Pacific Partnership will accelerate in July, with New Zealand officials working to stitch up a deal by the month's end, according to Trade Minister Tim Groser. More>>

ALSO:

Floods: Initial Assessment Of Economic Impact

Authorities around the region have compiled an initial impact assessment for the Ministry of Civil Defence, putting the estimated cost of flood recovery at around $120 million... this early estimate includes social, built, and economic costs to business, but doesn’t include costs to the rural sector. More>>

ALSO:

Food: Govt Obesity Plan - No Tax Or Legislation

Speaking to Q+A’s Corin Dann this morning, health minister Jonathan Coleman said tackling obesity was at the top of the Government’s priority list, but there was “no evidence” a sugar tax worked, and further regulation was unnecessary. More>>

ALSO:

Treasury Docs On LVR Policy: Government Inaction Leads To Blurring Of Roles

The Treasury wouldn’t have had to warn the Reserve Bank to stick to its core functions if the Government had taken prompt and substantial measures to rein in skyrocketing Auckland house prices, Labour’s Finance spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Final EPA Decision: Tough Bar Set For Ruataniwha Dam

Today’s final decision by the Tukituki Catchment Board of Inquiry is good news for the river and the environment, says Labour’s Water spokesperson Meka Whaitiri. “Setting a strict level of dissolved nitrogen in the catchment’s waters will ensure that the dam has far less of an impact on the Tukituki river." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news