Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Energy safety to issue prohibition notice

Energy safety to issue prohibition notice for Weiss heat transfer units


Energy Safety is warning consumers who have purchased some models of Weiss Heat Transfer Units that as from Friday next week, there will be a prohibition on their use and sale and advises consumers to immediately turn them off.

The models are:

Weiss Heat Transfer Units FV 602, FV 603, FV 652 and FV 653 which were produced prior to May 2012.

They are known to have been sold through Mitre 10 outlets, but may have been sold at other retailers.

The units operate in ceiling spaces and move air through ducts to heat houses.

The manufacturer has announced a voluntary recall of these products produced before 2010.

“Energy Safety is pleased that the manufacturer has recognised the possible safety issues around these units and voluntarily recalled some of them. Energy Safety’s prohibition on sale and use is extended through to the 2012 production year as a precaution to ensure that the manufacturer’s view that the issues were fixed at the 2010 production year can be substantiated by further investigation,” said Mr Wogan.

“There have been three recent instances of these units catching fire, and we are aware of a number of other incidents with them which we are in the process of investigating,” said Mark Wogan, Manager Energy Safety.

“We are satisfied that there is sufficient safety risk that we should step in and prohibit their continuing use and sale.

“Although the prohibition on using the units does not become formally effective until Friday 20 June (for administrative reasons), we urge consumers who know they have one of these units, or suspect they have one to immediately turn it off and seek advice from the manufacturer on 0800 208 008, or a registered electrician.

“It is up to the manufacturer to determine how it will deal with consumers who have purchased these units,” said Mr Wogan.

“The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring the units it sells are safe for consumers to use, and until we are satisfied that this is the case, the prohibition on use and sale will remain in force,” Mr Wogan said.

Energy Safety recommends that as with any electrical device, if consumers smell smoke or see fire they should immediately shut down the equipment and call the Fire Service.

[Ends]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Must Sell 20 Petrol Stations: Z Cleared To Buy Caltex Assets

Z Energy is allowed to buy the Caltex and Challenge! petrol station chains but must sell 19 of its retail sites and one truck-stop, the Commerce Commission has ruled in a split decision that acknowledges possible retail price coordination between fuel retailers occurs in some regions. More>>

ALSO:

Huntly: Genesis Extends Life Of Coal-Fuelled Power Station To 2022

Genesis Energy will keep its two coal and gas-fired units at Huntly Power Station operating until 2022, having previously said they'd be closed by 2018, after wringing a high price from other electricity generators who wanted to keep them as back-up. More>>

ALSO:

Dammed If You Do: Ruataniwha Irrigation Scheme Hits Farmer Uptake Targets

Enough Hawke's Bay farmers have signed up for water from the proposed Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme for it to go ahead as long as a cornerstone institutional capital investor can be found to back it, its regional council promoter announced. More>>

ALSO:

Reserve Bank: OCR Stays At 2.25%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2.25 percent, in a decision traders had said could go either way, while predicting inflation will pick up as the slump in oil prices washes out of the data and capacity pressures start to build in the economy. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news