Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Bathurst announces slow start to Escarpment mine

Bathurst announces slow start to Escarpment mine

By Pattrick Smellie

June 18 (BusinessDesk) - Bathurst Resources is to begin site works and extracting coal from a much reduced area of its consented Escarpment mine on the Denniston Plateau, above the South Island west coast town of Westport following the extension of its $22 million, five-year commitment to payments for the Department of Conservation to seven years.

Bathurst earlier this year all but put the Escarpment coking coal project in mothballs, reducing local staff and warning the development would have to await better prices for the high quality coal, which is used in the steel-making process.

However, the company went on to raise some $10 million in a placement to institutions and a rights issue shareholders in April and May respectively, and has now gained an Authority to Enter and Operate (AEO) on the site, whose development was hotly contested by environmental groups, whose appeals against the resource consents originally granted in August 2011 stretched the permissions process out by more than two years, to the frustration of Australian investors in Bathurst unused to New Zealand resource law constraints.

Conservation Minister Nick Smith announced the change from a five to a seven year schedule for payment of $22 million to DoC to compensate for the loss of conservation values caused by the project, and outlined a smaller mining plan than originally envisaged.

"Bathurst Resources will now construct the mine over an extended period and reduce the area that will be mined in the first two years from 62.2 hectares to 19.3 hectares and reduce the amount of coal extracted in this time period from 558 kilotons to 75 kilotons."

Production would ramp up further "when market conditions are more favourable," said Smith.

The announcement of a cautious start at Escarpment comes on a day when the government's resource extraction strategy took a serious knock, with the rejection of an application by TransTasman Resources to mine ironsands in the Exclusive Economic Zone, 22 kilometres off the coast of Patea in the south Taranaki Bight.

In a separate statement to the NZX, Bathurst said it planned to enter the site from July 1 and that initial works would comprise site clearing, initial water management dams and drainage systems, installation of coal stockpile areas, site roads and basic infrastructure, including a site office and the site readied for "when economic conditions warrant full commercial production."

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Fast Track: TPP Negotiations Set To Accelerate, Groser Says

Negotiations for the Trans-Pacific Partnership will accelerate in July, with New Zealand officials working to stitch up a deal by the month's end, according to Trade Minister Tim Groser. More>>

ALSO:

Floods: Initial Assessment Of Economic Impact

Authorities around the region have compiled an initial impact assessment for the Ministry of Civil Defence, putting the estimated cost of flood recovery at around $120 million... this early estimate includes social, built, and economic costs to business, but doesn’t include costs to the rural sector. More>>

ALSO:

Food: Govt Obesity Plan - No Tax Or Legislation

Speaking to Q+A’s Corin Dann this morning, health minister Jonathan Coleman said tackling obesity was at the top of the Government’s priority list, but there was “no evidence” a sugar tax worked, and further regulation was unnecessary. More>>

ALSO:

Treasury Docs On LVR Policy: Government Inaction Leads To Blurring Of Roles

The Treasury wouldn’t have had to warn the Reserve Bank to stick to its core functions if the Government had taken prompt and substantial measures to rein in skyrocketing Auckland house prices, Labour’s Finance spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Final EPA Decision: Tough Bar Set For Ruataniwha Dam

Today’s final decision by the Tukituki Catchment Board of Inquiry is good news for the river and the environment, says Labour’s Water spokesperson Meka Whaitiri. “Setting a strict level of dissolved nitrogen in the catchment’s waters will ensure that the dam has far less of an impact on the Tukituki river." More>>

ALSO:

"Don’t Give Up":
End Of Kick-Start Hits KiwiSaver Enrolments

ANZ said new enrolments for the ANZ KiwiSaver Scheme had dropped by more than 50% since the Government announced an immediate end to the $1,000 KiwiSaver kick-start incentive in the Budget last month. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news