Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Postie Plus to shut 12 stores, eliminate 64 workers

Postie Plus to shut 12 stores, eliminate 64 workers

By Suze Metherell

June 19 (BusinessDesk) - The administrators of failed retailer Postie Plus Group, which has been bought by a yet-to-be-named foreign retailer, will close 12 of the chain's 82 shops in New Zealand, cutting 64 workers.

Prior to the appointment of administrators David Bridgeman and Colin McCloy, Postie Plus management had identified a number of stores that were no longer viable, the PwC receivers said in a statement. The retailer went into voluntary administration last month after unsuccessful attempts to recapitalise the business, including an attempt to find a buyer or a new cornerstone shareholder.

The stores to be closed are Birkenhead, Bishopdale Mens, Womens and Kids, Dannevirke, Gore, Mt Roskill, Papatoetoe, Rangiora Kids, St Lukes, Sydenham, Te Kuiti and Westgate. All staff have been notified and the stores will close in the first week of July, with the remaining 70 to stay open.

On June 4, the day after the appointment of Bridgman and McCloy, a conditional agreement was reached to sell the chain as a going concern to an overseas-based retailer which doesn't have a presence in New Zealand. The buyer is conducting due diligence, with the sale expected to be completed around the end of the month.

In April, Postie Plus said it was in breach of lending covenants and expected to remain so “for the foreseeable future,” meaning its bank funding is repayable on demand, though the arrangements in place with lenders were sufficient to meet the company’s forecast funding requirements up to July 30.

The company was hit by supply chain disruptions in the summer of 2012 and 2013 after outsourcing its distribution centre to a third party, while shifting its headquarters to Auckland, where it anticipated growth. After receiving legal advice, Postie Plus had said it intended to “vigorously” pursue a damages claim.

Postie Plus shares last traded at 7.3 cents, prior to being halted at the end of May pending an announcement, and then suspended on the administrator appointment. The shares were the third-worst performer on the NZX All Index over the past year, having slumped 52 percent.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Crown Accounts: Government Ekes Out Six-Month Surplus Of $9M

The New Zealand government eked out a tiny surplus in the first six months of the fiscal year as growth in domestic consumption lifted the goods and services tax take, while uncertainties over the Kaikoura earthquake costs meant expenses were less than expected. More>>

ALSO:

Almost 400 Jobs: Shock At Cadbury's Dunedin Factory Closure

Workers at Cadbury in Dunedin are reeling after learning this morning that the iconic Cadbury factory is to close, with the loss of almost 400 jobs... “The company had reported it was doing well and this has come out of the blue,” says Chas. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Boards Of Inquiry For Auckland Roading Projects

Boards of Inquiry have been appointed to decide on two significant Auckland roading projects in a move which will get a decision by the end of the year, Environment Minister Dr Nick Smith and Conservation Minister Maggie Barry announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Three Months On: Quake Reciovery In Kaikōura And Elsewhere

Three months after the magnitude 7.8 earthquake on 14 November, encouraging recovery progress is being made in affected communities. More>>

ALSO:

Jetstar, Qantas For Govt Transport: Government Still In Talks With Air NZ

The government is still negotiating with national carrier Air New Zealand in a cross-agency air travel contract that will add a number of new airlines to the list of approved flyers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news