Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZRL clarifies financial standing

NZRL clarifies financial standing


New Zealand Rugby League wishes to correct reports in the media over accounts due to be tabled at this week’s annual meeting in Auckland.

On Wednesday, NZRL will declare a loss of $1.2 million for the 2013/14 financial year, roughly in line with the budgeted shortfall for this period.

The result leaves the national body with a $250,000 overall deficit.

A story published in today’s Sunday Star Times claims NZRL will be $1.2 million in debt, a $2.15 million turnaround from its financial position 12 months ago.

That statement is way off the mark.

“We’re alarmed that the explanation we provided in good faith has been so seriously distorted in his story,” says NZRL chief executive Phil Holden.

“It paints a picture that is far worse than the reality and certainly not in line with what we’ll be presenting to our stakeholders on Wednesday.”

The nature of international rugby league means NZRL operates on a funding cycle that revolves around reduced revenue during a World Cup year.

During the years leading up to each tournament, the organisation must grow its reserves to cover the cost of a Cup campaign.

“In a World Cup year, we give up all our commercial rights and there’s no commercial revenue from a World Cup,” says Holden.

Last year, the reserves stood at $950,000, but the eventual loss edged out over the $1 million mark due mainly to overruns on the men’s campaign and underwriting of the NZ women’s team.

The loss would have occurred even if the Kiwis had successfully defended their World Cup crown against Australia.

Holden has toured the country over the past three months, explaining the result to grassroots stakeholders and outlining a strategic plan that includes an overhaul of the NZRL commercial base so it isn’t as reliant on returns from the national team.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news