Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Appeal Court dismisses Sturgess claim over Greymouth

Appeal Court dismisses Sturgess claim over Greymouth Petroleum

By Jonathan Underhill

June 24 (BusinessDesk) - The Court of Appeal has turned down an attempt by Greymouth Petroleum minority shareholder John Sturgess to overthrow a High Court ruling on the sale of his shares.

In a judgment issued today, Justices Tony Randerson, Forrest Miller and Douglas White found for respondents Robert Dunphy and associates, and other shareholders and directors. In this case Sturgess was found to have pushed the envelope with a shareholders agreement that gave him and the majority shareholders rights of veto over the company.

Greymouth Petroleum chairman Mark Dunphy and fellow director Peter Masfen have been embroiled in a dispute with Sturgess since 2011. Today's judgment is interim pending costs and more importantly the fair market value of the company, which is being determined by an arbitrator. Neither side will concede until they see that valuation.

Sturgess was dumped as chief operating officer of the company and is no longer on the board so the value and sale of the shares is the final step in his exit. The arbitrator was appointed by the president of the Institute of Chartered Accountants because the estranged shareholders couldn't agree on a person.

Sturgess and related interests own 14 percent of Greymouth, while interests of executive chairman Mark Dunphy and director Peter Masfen, who together control 86 percent of the local oil and gas producer.

Dunphy and Masfen dismissed Sturgess as chief operating officer in February 2011 saying he failed to meet terms of the job in reporting to the board. Sturgess argued that the company should be wound up.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Kiwifruit: Zespri Ordered To Consider Collaborative Marketing Proposals

The High Court has told kiwifruit marketer Zespri to reconsider collaborative marketing proposals from Splice Fruit and Seeka Kiwifruit to sell fruit offshore that its board had previously rejected. More>>

ALSO:

Electric Vehicles: No Road User Charges Feature In Govt Package

Drivers of electric vehicles won't have to pay road user charges and will be allowed to drive in bus lanes as part of a new government plan to double EV numbers annually to a target 64,000 by 2021. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news