Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Telecom takes a bite of App La Carte

Telecom takes a bite of App La Carte

By Suze Metherell

July 7 (BusinessDesk) - Telecom Corp's startup incubator, Digital Ventures, has snapped up a strategic stake in App La Carte, the self-help business app creator, as New Zealand's largest telecommunications provider targets future revenue streams away from its bread-and-butter earnings base.

Digital Ventures took a 20 percent stake, with the option to increase its holding up to 40 percent in the Auckland-based app developer, Telecom said in a statement. The incubator has previously invested $5 million in Sir Ray Every's health monitoring wristband company, Vigil.

Telecom is in the process of changing its name to Spark next month, as it chases earnings growth in data and cloud services as well as soft-launching an internet television option later this month. Its Digital Ventures operation develops partnerships in new markets to build new businesses and products, which may be rolled into the larger Telecom group or hived off into businesses in their own right.

"It's well known our business is refocusing away from the home phone line to the world of the mobile internet where apps play a key role in the communication process," said Digital Ventures chief executive Rod Snodgrass. "Part of Telecom's strategy has been to look for businesses to partner with where we can bring our telecommunications, marketing, networks and commercial expertise to the innovation and ingenuity of new startup companies."

App La Carte has 150 customers after launching in 2012. It offers a monthly subscription to businesses looking to build their own apps, while also maintaining and updating the backend, technical side of the app. It employs 20 staff, across New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and India.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news