• Classification Survey company DNV have signed off Aratere as ready to sail.
• Currently Maritime New Zealand is onboard completing their inspections and audits before sign off.
• Interislander had discussed undertaking Aratere’s first trial sailing tonight. However, due to crew changes and the need to get all crew re-familiarised with the ferry, Interislander made the decision to reschedule a trial sailing until tomorrow – subject to MNZ signoff and our own internal signoff of the ship’s readiness.
• As previously stated, safety is KiwiRail’s top priority and Aratere’s return service will be driven by safety rather than tied to a particular date. KiwiRail’s Senior management team will also give Aratere final signoff only when satisfied.
• Our intention is to start freight sailings later this week, and we expect to be able to give more details about this over the next few days. Meanwhile, Kaitaki and Arahura are covering all freight bookings.