Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Far North power outages – Update #8: 1600hrs 10/7

Media Release

Kerikeri, 10 July 2014

/

Far North power outages – Update #8: 1600hrs


Top Energy line repair crews continue to face difficult conditions as they work on restoring the 33,000 volt (33kV) ‘main feeder lines’ that bring electricity to sub-stations before it is distributed to individual properties. The company expects to have restored electricity supplies to 1,000 customers in the Broadwood, Kaitaia, Rawhiti, Taheke and Towai areas by 4pm today, bringing the total without power across the Far North to around 6,400 households.

It hopes to be able to improve on that number “significantly” by the time it has to pull crews back in this evening.

Crews have been focussing today on repairing the “backbone” of the Far North electricity network and, and, as part of this, expect to have the 33kv line feeding the Pukenui substation repaired tonight.

Areas that continue to be impacted by the outages are Pukenui, Awanui, Te Kao, Te Hapua, Mahinepua and Peria and North Hokianga.

Once crews have restored the 33kV lines they will start repairing the 11,000 volt distribution lines and finally the smaller lines and individual ‘no power’ faults.

Top Energy CEO Russell Shaw warns that the continued atrocious conditions are hampering the repair process and extending it. It is now possible that the backbone of the network will not be back up and running until Friday night, meaning that those currently without power face a fourth, a fifth or even a sixth night without power.

“I’m sorry to say that, at this stage, it looks like some customers may not get power restored until Sunday morning.

“We continue to work flat out but the weather front causing all this is not moving off as previously forecast so we have had to revise our own repair timetable,” Shaw said.

“If anyone is aware of any at-risk or seriously ill people who are suffering through the lack of power they should contact emergency services on 111 as soon as possible.

“Any request for welfare, such as shelter, fresh water or food should be directed to the Far North District Council where it will be passed to Civil Defence.”

Shaw said the company had received “dozens” of supportive messages and emails from customers across the region, many of whom were still without power.

“This level of feedback during a weather event is unprecedented and has given us all a tremendous boost,” he said. “We are seeing the people of the Far North at their best in the face of this adversity. Our customers have been terrific; hugely patient and understanding. They know we’re working tirelessly, within the limits of safety, to restore electricity supplies.”

People with queries about the status of repairs to their lines should contact the Top Energy call centre on 0800- 867363.

All of Top Energy’s 75 field staff are hard at work and have been joined in the northern part of the region by crews from Northpower, Counties Power and WEL Networks. Shaw said the company is “hugely grateful” for this additional support.

Repairs are being hampered by significant access issues as many trees have been downed across the region’s roads and there is extensive flooding. More than 60 roads across the region, including State Highways 1, 11 and 12, are closed or impassable in areas.

“Our lines staff have had to chop trees off roads just so we can get to the lines,” Shaw said.

The company is working closely with the Far North District Council and Fulton Hogan to clear access into sites and this was working well, he said.

The company is reinforcing the point that its priority remains the repair of main 33kV and 11kV feeder lines. This means that while customers might see crews working near them they are not necessarily working on individual servicelines. They will come back to these as soon as possible.

The storm is the most severe event that Top Energy has experienced for at least a decade and the scale of the damage to the network, across the entire region, is immense. Significantly, this extends beyond wires to include poles and other structures. Sturdy concrete electricity poles have been blown down and even snapped and large 50-60 year-old trees have been blown down across lines and access roads. Winds gusting up to 160 km/hr have ripped lines out of the cross-arms on electricity poles.

Usually damage to structures is relatively minor and Top Energy can simply clear tree debris and pull wires back up. But in this case the structural damage has increased repair time significantly.

Top Energy is reassuring those who continue to experience a power outage that the company is aware of all the main lines that still need to be repaired and will send crews to these sites as soon as possible. It is asking members of the public to remain clear of downed powerlines at all times, to keep other people clear and also to keep animals away. That fact that the school holidays are on makes this safety request even more significant – parents are being asked to treat all downed power lines as live and to ensure that children are warned about lines on the ground and kept clear.

END

CUSTOMERS: For all questions about your power supply and the status of repairs please contact the Top Energy call centre on 0800-TOPENERGY / 0800-867363


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news