Employers greet returning Kiwis with open arms: Hays
Employers greet returning Kiwis with open arms: Hays Quarterly Report
Returning Kiwis are being met with open arms by employers who want to fill jobs with experienced locals, according to the latest Hays Quarterly Report of hiring hotspots and recruitment trends.
Recruiting experts Hays says in its latest Report that architecture, construction, engineering and property professionals are in highest demand, fuelled by Christchurch’s rebuild and Auckland and Wellington’s active residential market.
“With the upswing of work employers are recruiting both permanent and contract staff to deliver projects on time and on budget,” says Jason Walker, Managing Director of Hays in New Zealand. “They’re also growing their teams in order to generate more work.
“Given the candidate short market, employers are increasingly open to people who are returning home from their OE. Thankfully we’re seeing more Kiwis returning from overseas, especially from Australia and the UK. They are typically met with open arms by local employers who value their unique combination of local and international work experience and who want experienced staff to help deliver their projects.”
But according to Hays our construction and property sector is not the only one with vacancies to fill.
“The market is looking more buoyant for accountancy and finance roles, in particular for newly qualified accountants who want their first step into management and for high performing productive candidates with strong client facing skills.
“There is still a lot of recruitment happening in the contact centres market, especially in the sales space, and there is a shortage of claims professionals in insurance. IT remains candidate short, jobs have been created in office support, and sales and marketing hiring intentions are good as employers fill knowledge gaps.”
But Jason warns that while the general upswing in business confidence has led to a meaningful increase in hiring intentions, experience counts. “Employers are mainly looking for experienced candidates who can hit the ground running and support the growth of their business,” he said.
A selection of skills in demand from the Hays Quarterly Report for July to September 2014 follows:
• Accountancy &
Finance: Business Analysts, Commercial Analysts,
experienced Accountants, newly qualified Accountants and
Payroll Officers. Professional practice needs Intermediate
and Senior Auditors, Xero specialists, Intermediate and
Senior Accountants in Business Advisory Services and
• Architecture: Licensed Building Practitioners, Registered Architects, Revit Technicians, ArchiCAD Technicians and Project Architects.
• Construction: Site Managers (commercial), Quantity Surveyors, Project Managers, Estimators (commercial & civil), Civil Supervisors, Site / Senior Site Managers and Foremen/women.
• Contact Centres: Outbound sales, Inbound sales, Technical Customer Representatives, Customer Service Representatives and Team Managers.
• Energy: Distribution Line Mechanics, Glove and Barrier Line Mechanics, Power Technicians, Senior Protection Design Engineers and qualified 11kv+ Cable Jointers.
• Engineering: Civil Water Design Engineers, Civil Transport Design Engineers and Structural Design Engineers.
• Facilities Management: Facilities Coordinators, Facilities Managers, HVAC Service Technicians and Contract/Operations Managers.
• Human Resources: HR and Training Administrators and Coordinators, HR Business Partners, Organisational Development professionals, Industrial Relations professionals and Learning and Development specialists.
• Information Technology: Developers, Technical Business Analysts, UX Designers, Technical Writers and BA Managers.
• Insurance: Loss Adjustors, Brokers, Claims, Recoveries Consultants and Underwriters.
• Office Support: Project Administrators and Executive Assistants.
• Property: Intermediate Property Managers, Contract Negotiation Managers, Leasing Executives and Valuers.
• Sales & Marketing: Digital Content Managers, Digital Marketing Managers, Sales Representatives and Business Development Managers.
• Trades & Labour: NZ registered Electricians, NZ licensed Plumbers and Traffic Controllers.
For more, view the full Hays Quarterly Report.
Hays, the world’s leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled people.
Hays is the leading global specialist recruiting group. We are the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in Asia Pacific and the UK and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. We operate across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments.
As at 31 December 2013 we employed 7,979 staff operating from 240 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2013, Hays reported net fees of £719 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £125.5 million. Hays placed around 53,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments. 29% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific.
Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA.