Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


High Court rules Fonterra, Danone arbitration to come first

Singapore arbitration the place for Fonterra, Danone dispute, judge rules

By Paul McBeth

July 18 (BusinessDesk) - The High Court has agreed with Fonterra Cooperative Group that its dispute with French food group Danone should be dealt with in arbitration, but won't grant a permanent stay on legal proceedings.

In the High Court in Auckland, Justice Geoffrey Venning granted Fonterra's application to stay proceedings brought against the New Zealand dairy firm by Danone, while "expressly reserving leave for the Danone plaintiffs to seek to lift the stay in the event Fonterra delays the arbitration process," according to a judgment delivered yesterday.

Justice Venning said the substantial overlap between the claims in the New Zealand courts and the Singapore arbitration meant it "would not be in the interests of justice for both claims to proceed in tandem" and would be "oppressive" to Fonterra due to the duplication of resources and the potential for inconsistent findings in the separate hearings.

"In my view the arbitration should go first because the parties agreed the arbitration process was to apply to claims arising out of the supply of product by Fonterra to Danone AP," the judgment said.

The judge weighed up the potential for delay in the arbitration process, because it would likely be at least two years before completion, noting the financial consequences of a protracted hearing could be addressed by an award of a realistic interest rate because the claim is for monetary compensation. Further, if Fonterra held up proceedings, Danone could seek to lift the stay, he said.

Danone is seeking damages for the costs of recall, loss of profits, and loss of business and reputation, alleging lost sales of 350 million euros and projecting cost impacts of 280 million euros, the judgment said.

Last August, Fonterra quarantined several batches of whey protein concentrate amid fears it was contaminated with a potentially dangerous form of the clostridium bacteria. The whey protein was ultimately cleared as a false alarm. Fonterra cut deals with seven of the eight customers affected and recognised a contingent liability of just $14 million for the recall in its accounts.

Fonterra claimed the New Zealand court proceedings were a "contrivance brought to embarrass FCGL (Fonterra Cooperative Group Ltd) and to seek to evade the negotiated limitations on liability contained within the supply agreement," the judgment said.

Danone and Fonterra's supply agreement included a provision limiting Fonterra's liability to A$10 million per claim or series of claims, with total liability in any one year capped at A$30 million.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Must Sell 20 Petrol Stations: Z Cleared To Buy Caltex Assets

Z Energy is allowed to buy the Caltex and Challenge! petrol station chains but must sell 19 of its retail sites and one truck-stop, the Commerce Commission has ruled in a split decision that acknowledges possible retail price coordination between fuel retailers occurs in some regions. More>>

ALSO:

Huntly: Genesis Extends Life Of Coal-Fuelled Power Station To 2022

Genesis Energy will keep its two coal and gas-fired units at Huntly Power Station operating until 2022, having previously said they'd be closed by 2018, after wringing a high price from other electricity generators who wanted to keep them as back-up. More>>

ALSO:

Dammed If You Do: Ruataniwha Irrigation Scheme Hits Farmer Uptake Targets

Enough Hawke's Bay farmers have signed up for water from the proposed Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme for it to go ahead as long as a cornerstone institutional capital investor can be found to back it, its regional council promoter announced. More>>

ALSO:

Reserve Bank: OCR Stays At 2.25%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2.25 percent, in a decision traders had said could go either way, while predicting inflation will pick up as the slump in oil prices washes out of the data and capacity pressures start to build in the economy. More>>

ALSO:

Export Values Down: NZ Posts Biggest Annual Trade Deficit In 7 Years

New Zealand has recorded its biggest annual trade deficit since April 2009, reflecting weaker prices of agricultural commodities such as dairy products, beef and lamb, and increased imports of vehicles and machinery. More>>

ALSO:

Currency Events: NZ's New $5 Note Wins International Banknote Award

New Zealand’s new Brighter Money $5 note has been named Banknote of the Year in a prestigious international competition. The $5 note was awarded the IBNS Banknote of the Year title at the International Bank Note Society’s annual meeting. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news