Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Update on the Independent Forestry Safety Review

Consultation and next steps

The formal consultation process for the Independent Forestry Safety Review has now been completed. The Panel has received feedback on its consultation document. This included 111 written submissions from government agencies, forest industry stakeholders and individuals with an interest in the Review.

Please note, the time for making a formal submission has closed. Details about what was said in the submission will be contained in the Panel’s Final Report. Work on the report is currently underway.

Along with the consultation document, the Panel travelled to some forestry regions to hold public consultation meetings and private meetings with contractors and workers. Meeting were held in:
• Balclutha on Thursday 11 June
• Christchurch on Friday 13 June
• Rotorua on Wednesday 18 June
• Whangarei on Friday 20 June
• Gisborne on Monday 23 June
• Nelson on Wednesday 25 June

While in the forestry regions, the Panel spoke with over 540 individuals. These included forestry workers, contractors, forest managers and owners, trainers and assessors and a range of other stakeholders.

As part of the consultation phase, a forestry worker survey was undertaken. So far, over 340 surveys have been completed. They are still being returned to the Panel so the final numbers are not yet known.

The Panel would like to thank everyone that participated in the Review during the stakeholder consultation phase. The input and information provided has enabled the Panel to better understand the factors that are impacting on health and safety on the forest block.

Next steps for the Review
The Panel is now working on developing practical recommendations for change in the forestry sector its Final Report. The focus will be on recommendations that will help ensure the forest block becomes a safe place to work.

It is anticipated that the final report to be completed some time between the end of September and the middle of October. It will take the Panel this time to review the submissions properly, talk to those who will be required to lead change in the sector and write the Final Report. In the interim, it is expected that an update on the content of the submissions will be provided in early August.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Pre-Budget: Computer Emergency Response Team, Assemble!

John Key told the country's first ever Cyber Security Summit in Auckland that the government had earmarked funding set up a national Computer Emergency Response Team to help prevent and act on cyber incidents in partnership with the private sector and other organisations. More>>

ALSO:

Job Cutter Goes: Mark Weldon To Step Down As MediaWorks CEO

“When I joined MediaWorks in August 2014, I had a mandate to lead a significant change programme to bring the business back from receivership into a position where it could once again be a strong competitor in the market, with a sound and sustainable future. It was a big brief, laden with inherent challenges, but I took it in good faith and have dedicated myself fully to the goal since." More>>

ALSO:

Must Sell 20 Petrol Stations: Z Cleared To Buy Caltex Assets

Z Energy is allowed to buy the Caltex and Challenge! petrol station chains but must sell 19 of its retail sites and one truck-stop, the Commerce Commission has ruled in a split decision that acknowledges possible retail price coordination between fuel retailers occurs in some regions. More>>

ALSO:

Huntly: Genesis Extends Life Of Coal-Fuelled Power Station To 2022

Genesis Energy will keep its two coal and gas-fired units at Huntly Power Station operating until 2022, having previously said they'd be closed by 2018, after wringing a high price from other electricity generators who wanted to keep them as back-up. More>>

ALSO:

Dammed If You Do: Ruataniwha Irrigation Scheme Hits Farmer Uptake Targets

Enough Hawke's Bay farmers have signed up for water from the proposed Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme for it to go ahead as long as a cornerstone institutional capital investor can be found to back it, its regional council promoter announced. More>>

ALSO:

Reserve Bank: OCR Stays At 2.25%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2.25 percent, in a decision traders had said could go either way, while predicting inflation will pick up as the slump in oil prices washes out of the data and capacity pressures start to build in the economy. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news