Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Disgraced hotel operator still hasn’t learned

Media Release: Union Network of Migrants (UNEMIG)

Friday, 25 July 2014

Disgraced hotel operator still hasn’t learned

A publicly disgraced Auckland hotel is still not paying their workers the minimum wage, according to the Union Network of Migrants (UNEMIG).

Last week the Employment Relations Authority ordered Harbour Oaks hotel to pay workers Nancy and Abraham Agustin nearly $80,000, having not paid their minimum entitlements since the beginning of their employment in 2011, illegally withholding wages, and requiring them to work public holidays without paying penal rates or giving lieu days.

This week the workers’ deposited pay for the hours they have worked is still below the minimum wage. The hotel is now also requesting to extend the 10 day period in which they are required to pay the workers their unpaid wages and entitlements.

“These sustained breaches of employment law demonstrate that Harbour Oaks is simply not able to operate a business in New Zealand,” said UNEMIG Secretary Dennis Maga.

“It is our view that where an employer demonstrates an unwillingness to comply with minimum employment standards on multiple occasions, they should be barred from operating in this country. Running a business should be a privilege and not an absolute right.”

-Ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Auckland Port Study: Port To Ship Out – No Departure Date

Interest groups in Auckland and its waterfront chose a group of representatives to determine the future of the port. Their consensus is that the Port is going to have to move but not before a credible location is confirmed... More>>

ALSO:

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Other Centres' Convention Centres:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news