Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZX won't cancel Lyttelton Port trades after takeover notice

NZX won't cancel Lyttelton Port trades after routine notice included takeover details

By Jonathan Underhill

Aug. 6 (BusinessDesk) - NZX, the stock market operator, says it won't cancel trades in Lyttelton Port Co shares made after the release of a substantial security holder (SSH) notice that included first news of a takeover proposal for the company.

Port Otago sent an SSH notice to the NZX last Friday afternoon that announced it had entered a lock-up agreement for its holding of about 15.5 percent with majority owner Christchurch City Holdings (CCH), which intended to make a full takeover of the listed Lyttleton Port at $3.95 a share. Port Otago gave Lyttleton no advance notice of the plan, which included a special dividend of 20 cents.

Investors who saw the notice drove the price up 24 percent to $4.10, leaving some shareholders disgruntled that they had been blindsided and demanding the trades be reversed. The stock was subsequently halted for the release of statement from CCH about the plan.

About 42,534 shares changed hands in 13 trades ranging from $3.30 to $3.59 between the SSH being released at 2.24pm and the stock being halted at 2.57pm, for a total value of less than $150,000. Lyttelton Port has 102 million shares on issue, although more than 90 percent is held by CCH and Port Otago. The shares traded recently at $4.10, valuing the company at $419 million.

"NZX is confident that all market participants, traders and investors, both on the buy and sell sides, had access to the same information at the same time in relation to the proposed takeover," the market operator said in statement, as part of its review of Friday's events.

Because Lyttelton Port had no prior knowledge of the proposal it didn't breach any disclosure rules, while CCH and Port Otago are not listed companies required to disclose anything beyond their SSH filings, NZX said. It described Lyttelton's lack of prior knowledge as "unusual" but doesn't consider there has been a breach of its rules for market participants.

Still, the stock market operator said it is reviewing its process for the release of SSH notices.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

ETS Review: Modelling Documents Released

Three technical documents are being released to help New Zealanders engage with the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) review, Climate Change Minister Paula Bennett says. More>>

ALSO:

Northland: Govt Plan Targets Transport, Web, Maori Assets

The government has released a 10-year plan to attract investors and lift economic growth in Northland, a region that perennially underperforms the rest of the country even while being endowed with natural beauty, productive land, minerals, a potential workforce, scope for manufacturing, forestry and aquaculture, and proximity to Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Statistics: Unemployment Rate Falls To 5.3 Percent

The unemployment rate fell to 5.3 percent in the December 2015 quarter (from 6.0 percent), Statistics New Zealand said today. This is the lowest unemployment rate since March 2009. There were 16,000 fewer people unemployed than in the September ... More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Urges Talley’s To End AFFCO Lockout

Labour has urged Talley’s to resolve the ongoing industrial dispute with AFFCO workers which is having a severe effect on the employees, their families and their communities, Labour’s Workplace Relations spokesperson Iain Lees-Galloway says. More>>

ALSO:

Three Kings: Govt To Oppose Appeal Blocking $1.2B Auckland Housing Plan

Environment Minister Nick Smith and Housing New Zealand have joined legal proceedings in support of Auckland Council and Fletcher Building opposing a bid by community groups to only allow low-rise housing in a $1.2 billion housing redevelopment on the disused site of the Three Kings quarry. More>>

ALSO:

Transport: Jetstar Expands Regional Network With Three New Routes

More New Zealanders than ever before will have access to Jetstar’s affordable flights when new services take off today from Auckland to New Plymouth and Palmerston North, and Nelson to Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news