Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Govt picks consortium for Chch convention centre

Govt picks Plenary, Ngai Tahu, Carter consortium for Chch convention centre

By Paul McBeth

Aug. 7 (BusinessDesk) - The government has chosen a consortium made up of Plenary Group, Ngai Tahu Property and Carter Group to build a convention centre able to seat up to 2,000 people in Christchurch.

Prime Minister John Key and Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee today announced the Plenary Conventions New Zealand consortium as the preferred developer and hotel operator Accor as the preferred operator of the new convention centre, to which the government has committed $284 million. Construction is expected to begin next year, with the centre open for business in 2017.

"The next step for the consortium is to formally enter into a master planning and development phase, where the Crown will work with Plenary Conventions NZ on the detail of the precinct ahead of construction," Brownlee said in a statement. "I'm confident the end result will be a vibrant, world-class convention centre precinct that attracts conference and convention visitors from all over the world, and delivers significant economic benefits for the Canterbury region."

Local authorities around the country have started looking at convention centres as a means to boost tourism earnings, including Auckland, Queenstown and Wellington. Christchurch's nearly new convention centre was demolished after the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes.

Brownlee said he expects the Christchurch centre would complement other facilities around the country.

Land in the convention centre precinct would also house hotel accommodation, hospital, retail, and commercial and residential property, he said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Must Sell 20 Petrol Stations: Z Cleared To Buy Caltex Assets

Z Energy is allowed to buy the Caltex and Challenge! petrol station chains but must sell 19 of its retail sites and one truck-stop, the Commerce Commission has ruled in a split decision that acknowledges possible retail price coordination between fuel retailers occurs in some regions. More>>

ALSO:

Huntly: Genesis Extends Life Of Coal-Fuelled Power Station To 2022

Genesis Energy will keep its two coal and gas-fired units at Huntly Power Station operating until 2022, having previously said they'd be closed by 2018, after wringing a high price from other electricity generators who wanted to keep them as back-up. More>>

ALSO:

Dammed If You Do: Ruataniwha Irrigation Scheme Hits Farmer Uptake Targets

Enough Hawke's Bay farmers have signed up for water from the proposed Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme for it to go ahead as long as a cornerstone institutional capital investor can be found to back it, its regional council promoter announced. More>>

ALSO:

Reserve Bank: OCR Stays At 2.25%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2.25 percent, in a decision traders had said could go either way, while predicting inflation will pick up as the slump in oil prices washes out of the data and capacity pressures start to build in the economy. More>>

ALSO:

Export Values Down: NZ Posts Biggest Annual Trade Deficit In 7 Years

New Zealand has recorded its biggest annual trade deficit since April 2009, reflecting weaker prices of agricultural commodities such as dairy products, beef and lamb, and increased imports of vehicles and machinery. More>>

ALSO:

Currency Events: NZ's New $5 Note Wins International Banknote Award

New Zealand’s new Brighter Money $5 note has been named Banknote of the Year in a prestigious international competition. The $5 note was awarded the IBNS Banknote of the Year title at the International Bank Note Society’s annual meeting. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news