Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Court of Appeal adjourns Dotcom hearing for talks

Appeal court gives lawyers chance to negotiate return of Dotcom's information

By Paul McBeth

Aug. 14 (BusinessDesk) - The Crown and Kim Dotcom continued their tussle over the internet tycoon's seized electronic information in the Court of Appeal today, which adjourned the hearing to let the lawyers try and reach an agreement for the return of the files.

The hearing in Wellington was the latest in a series of legal challenges to head off the US Federal Government’s bid to extradite Dotcom and his co-accused Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk to face charges of conspiracy to operate websites used to illegally distribute copyrighted content.

Dotcom and his co-accused are seeking the return of some of the cloned information from devices seized in 2012 and 2013, which his lawyer Paul Davison QC said defied natural justice if access continued to be denied ahead of next February's extradition hearing.

Crown counsel David Boldt told the court the only reason for the delayed return was because encryption codes hadn't been provided to the police as they had previously agreed. Because Ortmann and van der Kolk had provided passwords, they had received clones of their information, he said.

In response to questioning, Boldt said the Attorney, via the Deputy Solicitor General, wants to make a direction under the Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act 1992 to transmit the original devices in the 2013 bundle to the US and provide clones to the accused once certain conditions have been met, and provided the court with principles the Attorney would adhere to when making a decision.

Justices Ellen France, Tony Randerson and Douglas White adjourned the hearing to let counsel try and negotiate an acceptable direction for the devices.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: RBNZ Starts Talks On Tougher Rules For Property Speculators

The Reserve Bank of New Zealand is stepping up preparations to restrict lending to residential property investors as it watches house prices, particularly in Auckland, continue to rise strongly. More>>

ALSO:

Research: ‘Ageing Well’ Science Challenge Launched

Science and Innovation Minister Steven Joyce today launched the Ageing Well National Science Challenge, confirming initial funding of $14.6 million. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Govt Resisting Pressure To Pump More Cash Into Solid Energy

Prime Minister John Key says it is “not the government’s preferred option” to make a fresh capital injection into the troubled state-owned coal miner, Solid Energy, but dodged journalists’ questions at his weekly press conference on whether that might prove necessary... More>>

ALSO:

Lagest Ever Privacy Breach Award: NZCU Baywide Accepts “Severe” Censure In Cake Case

NZCU Baywide says that once it was found to have committed a breach of a former staff member’s privacy, it had attempted to resolve the matter... the censure and remedies for its actions taken almost three years ago are “severe” but accepted, and will hopefully draw a line under the matter. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: PayPal Stops Processing Mega Payments; NZX Listing Still On

PayPal has ceased processing payments for Mega, the file storage and encryption firm looking to join the New Zealand stock market via a reverse listing of TRS Investments, amid claims it is not a legitimate cloud storage service. More>>

ALSO:

Housing Policy: Auckland Densification As Popular As Ebola, English Says

Finance Minister Bill English said calls by the Reserve Bank Governor for more densification in Auckland’s housing were “about as popular in parts of Auckland as Ebola” would be. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news