Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Acurity board tells shareholders to wait for takeover report

Acurity board tells shareholders to sit tight as Connor Healthcare reviews takeover

By Suze Metherell

Aug. 20 (BusinessDesk) - Acurity Healthcare Group's independent directors committee says Connor Healthcare is reviewing its takeover offer for the 29 percent of the company it doesn't own, including the price, and that shareholders should wait for the committee's report before trading shares.

Connor, which is made up of principal Acurity shareholders the Stewart family, Royston Hospital Trust Board, and Evolution Healthcare, announced plans for a cash takeover bid on July 28, offering $6.50 per share and valuing the private hospital operator at $112.2 million, saying the firm faces a big struggle lifting its flagship Wellington hospital up to earthquake code. Shares of Acurity were up 0.8 percent to $6.60 today.

Acurity's committee of independent directors today said it "understands that Connor is reviewing its offer terms (including, potentially, price) and, accordingly, the committee recommends that shareholders do not deal with their shares until the receive, and consider, the committee's takeover response documents."

Connor touted the cost of upgrading the hospital as too onerous for a public company to undertake by saying it would be better placed to absorb the cost than a publicly listed company.

Earlier this month, chief executive Ian England announced the appointment of a working group made up of specialists, directors and management to define what's needed to bring the hospital up to earthquake code and establish cost processes. While no definite figures were available, a recent review suggested the upgrade would cost between $45 million and $50 million, with a further $10 million needed to replace the current Wakefield Medical Consultant Centre.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Nurofen Promotion: Reckitt Benckiser To Plead Guilty To Misleading Ads

Reckitt Benckiser (New Zealand) intends to plead guilty to charges of misleading consumers over the way it promoted a range of Nurofen products, the Commerce Commission says. More>>

ALSO:

Half A Billion Accounts: Yahoo Confirms Huge Data Breach

The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. More>>

Rural Branches: Westpac To Close 19 Branches, ANZ Looks At 7

Westpac confirms it will close nineteen branches across the country; ANZ closes its Ngaruawahia branch and is consulting on plans to close six more branches; The bank workers union says many of its members are nervous about their futures and asking ... More>>

Interest Rates: RBNZ's Wheeler Keeps OCR At 2%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2 percent and said more easing will be needed to get inflation back within the target band. More>>

ALSO:

Half Full: Fonterra Raises Forecast Payout As Global Supply Shrinks

Fonterra Cooperative Group, the dairy processor which will announce annual earnings tomorrow, hiked its forecast payout to farmers by 50 cents per kilogram of milk solids as global supply continues to decline, helping prop up dairy prices. More>>

ALSO:

Results:

Meat Trade: Silver Fern Farms Gets Green Light For Shanghai Maling Deal

The government has given the green light for China's Shanghai Maling Aquarius to acquire half of Silver Fern Farms, New Zealand's biggest meat company, with ministers satisfied it will deliver "substantial and identifiable benefit". More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news