Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


William Yan-related Mega stake under restraining order

William Yan-related Mega stake under restraining order

By Paul McBeth

Aug. 25 (BusinessDesk) - An 18.8 percent stake in cloud storage and encryption firm Mega has been placed under a restraining order as part of a freeze on the assets of Auckland business William Yan.

Two companies associated with Yan, formerly known as Bill Liu, have been subject to a restraining order under the Criminal Proceeds (Recovery) Act, with the shares under the Official Assignee's custody and control, Mega said in a statement. Any funds received as subscription for new shares were paid to Mega's lawyers through banks operating under Anti Money Laundering processes, it said.

"The police have commented that their action does not affect any innocent third parties (such as Mega) who have had business dealings with Mr Yan," chief executive Graham Gaylard said. "Mega has never had any reason to suspect that such funds resulted from any illegal activity, and the restraining order will not affect the operations of Mega."

On Saturday, the New Zealand Herald newspaper reported millions of dollars of assets allegedly owned by Yan had been seized by police as part of an investigation into a money laundering ring. Through a lawyer, Yan denied the allegations, the Herald reported.

Neither company was named, although TEY Trustee Ltd and New Vision Trustee Ltd, which emerged as shareholders of Mega in May, hold a combined 18.81 percent, according to Companies Office documents. Those companies' interests are held through Jesse & Associates lawyer Jesse Nguy, a former president of the now-defunct New Zealand Chinese Business Chamber.

The combined stake pips Shen Zhou Wu's 16.7 percent stake in Mega, who is listed as the biggest shareholder in the company. Shen, a regular donor to the National Party through his Contue Jinwan Enterprise Group, replaced Dotcom as the firm's biggest investor in May.

Dotcom is looking to list Mega on the NZX through a reverse takeover and is spending heavily on court action fighting his extradition to the US on conspiracy and money-laundering charges relating to copyright breaches, and on his political vehicle, the Internet Party.

He stepped back from a hands-on role at Mega last year, resigning as a director in August to focus on his extradition hearing, music streaming website and political aspirations via the Internet Party.

Mega appointed Gaylard as its new chief executive this month, replacing Stephen Hall, who would remain with the business to work on its proposed reverse listing with NZX-listed TRS Investments.

This month Mega raised US$7 million to help fund the listing, and pushed out a deadline to get TRS shareholder approval for the deal until the end of October.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Trade Plans: Prime Minister's Speech To International Business Forum

"The work to improve public services, build infrastructure, and solve social problems is possible only because we have enjoyed sustained, solid economic growth. A big reason for that is the Government’s consistent agenda of economic reform, and our determination to open up more opportunities for trade with the world." More>>

ALSO:

Media: TVNZ Flags Job Cuts To Arrest Profit Decline

Chief executive Kevin Kenrick said the changes were aimed at creating "a sustainable future video content business for TVNZ in an ever-changing media market." More>>

ALSO:

Reserve Bank: Wheeler Keeps OCR At 1.75%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate unchanged at 1.75 percent, as expected, and reiterated his view that the benchmark rate doesn't need shifting for the foreseeable future. More>>

ALSO:

Retail: Pumpkin Patch Brand, IP Sold To Catch Group

The receivers of failed children's clothing retailer Pumpkin Patch have confirmed that the company's brand and intellectual property have been sold to Australian online retailer Catch Group. More>>

ALSO:

Oil: 2017 Block Offer Petroleum Tender Launched

New Zealand is well-placed to take advantage of the economic benefits of oil and gas exploration, Energy and Resources Minister Judith Collins announced today at the launch of the 2017 Block Offer petroleum tender. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news