Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


NZ building consents rise 0.1% in July, led by Auckland

NZ building consents rise 0.1% in July, as Canterbury consents slow and Auckland picks up

By Tina Morrison

Aug. 29 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand building consents rose at a modest 0.1 percent pace in July, slower than the 3.5 percent pace in June, reflecting a drop in the number of consents issued in Canterbury and a pick up in Auckland.

The number of consents increased to a seasonally adjusted 2,105 in July, from 2,103 in June, Statistics New Zealand said. Excluding apartments, which can be volatile, seasonally adjusted July consents fell 2 percent, following a 3.1 percent gain in June, the agency said.

Auckland, the nation's largest city where a shortage of housing is pushing up prices, recorded the biggest jump in the month with a 54 percent surge to 849, which is 53 percent ahead of July last year. Meantime, the pace of issuance slowed in Canterbury, where the city is being rebuilt following a series of earthquakes, with consents slipping 2.2 percent to 609 from a high of 623 in June. Still, Canterbury consents were 20 percent ahead of July last year.

"Dwelling consent issuance held up at high levels in July, led by continued strong house-building demand in Auckland and Canterbury," Christina Leung, an economist at ASB Bank, said in a note. "Beyond the monthly volatility, dwelling consent issuance in these two regions remains on a clear upward trend. We continue to expect strong house-building demand in Auckland and Canterbury will drive construction growth over the next couple of years."

In Wellington, consents were almost unchanged from June at 119 from 118, and compared with 169 in July last year.

Excluding seasonal adjustments, the total number of residential consents for new dwellings in July rose 17 percent to 2,282 from the previous month and were 21 percent higher than July last year.

The value of all building consents issued in the month was a record $1.39 billion, including a record $876 million of residential consents and the second-highest ever value of non-residential work at $512 million, the statistics agency said.

"The continued increase in non-residential building consents in July is another positive development," said the ASB's Leung. "The increase in July was led by stronger demand for new office buildings and retail outlets. With businesses showing increasing optimism towards investment, we expect this will flow through to a continued improvement in commercial building demand over the coming year."

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Half Empty: Fonterra's 2017 Opening Forecast Below Expectations

Fonterra Cooperative Group raised its forecast farmgate milk payout for next season by less than expected as the world's largest dairy exporter predicts lower prices will crimp production and supply will pick up. The New Zealand dollar fell. More>>

ALSO:

Pest Control: Mouse Blitz Team Leaves For Antipodes

The Million Dollar Mouse project to rid Antipodes Island of mice is underway with the departure of a rodent eradication team to the remote nature reserve and World Heritage Area. More>>

Gongs Got: Canon Media Awards & NZ Radio Awards Happen

Radio NZ: RNZ website The Wireless, which is co-funded by NZ On Air, was named best website, while Toby Manhire and Toby Morris won the best opinion general writing section for their weekly column on rnz.co.nz and Tess McClure won the best junior feature writer section. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Budget: Debt Focus Risks Losing Opportunity To Stoke Economy

The Treasury is likely to upgrade its forecasts for economic growth in Budget 2016 next week but Finance Minister Bill English has already signalled that more of his focus is on debt repayment than on fiscal stimulus or tax cuts... More>>

ALSO:

Fulton Hogan's Heroes: Managing Director Nick Miller Resigns

Fulton Hogan managing director Nick Miller will leave the privately owned construction company after seven years in charge. The Dunedin-based company has kicked off a search for a replacement, and Miller will stay on at the helm until March next year, or until a successor has been appointed and a transition period completed. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Electricity, Executions, And Bob Dylan

The Electricity Authority has unveiled the final version of its pricing plan for electricity transmission. This will change the way transmission prices (which comprise about 10% of the average power bill) are computed, and will add hundreds of dollars a year to power bills for many ordinary consumers. More>>

ALSO:

Half Empty: Fonterra NZ, Australia Milk Collection Drops In Season

Fonterra Cooperative Group says milk collection is down in New Zealand and Australia, its two largest markets, in the first 11 months of the season during a period of weak dairy prices. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news