Tegel’s New Meal Maker Smoked Chicken
TEGEL’s NEW MEAL
MAKER SMOKED CHICKEN
TAKES THE STRESS OUT OF COOKING
Tegel’s popular Meal Maker range has welcomed a new addition to the family - Smoked Chicken, which is sure to become an instant Kiwi favourite.
Whether in pasta salads or atop pizzas, its ready-to-eat convenience, quality and versatility will allow even the busiest families to prepare healthy meals in minutes.
Tegel’s Meal Maker Smoked Chicken is high-protein, low fat, 100% New Zealand chicken breast which can be added straight into any dish. Try smoked chicken and walnut pesto fettuccine or smoked chicken and roast red pepper pizza (recipes below and on www.tegel.co.nz).
Nutrition Foundation dietitian Sarah Hanrahan says chicken should be a regular ingredient in a healthy Kiwi diet.
“Chicken is a really good source of protein and is particularly popular amongst younger people. More than 56% of Kiwis aged 15 years and over eat chicken one to two times a week and almost a quarter of us eat it three to four times a week.” *
Tegel Meal Maker Smoked Chicken and other variants (including roast chicken) are available at supermarkets nationwide. RRP: from around $8.99
Tegel’s premium quality chicken is raised in barns and is fed with a high quality grain-rich diet, free from added hormones.
(*Data taken from the 2008/09 New Zealand Adult Nutrition Survey published by the Ministry of Health.)
Smoked Chicken and Walnut Pesto
1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
large handful (approx 75g) of rocket leaves
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
400g fresh fettuccine
1 x Tegel Meal Maker Smoked Chicken
shaved parmesan for serving.
1. Place walnuts, rocket, garlic and parmesan cheese into the bowl of a food processor and briefly process to a coarse paste.
2. With the motor running add the oil in a slow stream until combined. Taste and season with salt as needed.
3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook fettuccine until al dente.
4. At the same time, chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
5. Drain the pasta well and then toss with chicken and most of the pesto. Serve topped with a dollop of pesto and extra parmesan cheese.
Smoked Chicken & Roast
Red Pepper Pizza
2 large thin pizza bases
2 sachets pizza sauce
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
300g Tegel Meal Maker Smoked Chicken
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the pizza bases on an oven tray. Spread a sachet of pizza sauce on each pizza base. Top with mozzarella, smoked chicken and red pepper.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bases are crisp and golden and the cheese is bubbly.
Hint: Top with baby rocket and shaved parmesan for a gourmet pizza.