Ford and Uber unite for Drive-Thru Friday
Ford Mustang ‘Drive-Thru Friday’ turns the ordinary Uber ride into an extraordinary Uber ride!
· Ford teams up with Uber to present the public with a special treat on Friday 21 October 2016
· “Drive-Thru Friday” leads into a Mustang-filled weekend – 50 years of the Ford Mustang will be on show at the Viaduct Events Centre as part of the 37th National Mustang Convention on Saturday 22 October 2016
· All new Ford Mustangs on display – both the classic V8 GT and the fuel efficient 2.3L EcoBoost™
AUCKLAND, New Zealand. Thursday 19 OCTOBER 2016 – Auckland is set to become Mustang central this Friday 21 October, ahead of Labour Weekend. The Ford Mustang ‘Drive-Thru Friday’ experience, powered by Ford and Uber, gives Uber customers the opportunity to get a ride in a brand new Ford Mustang and meet some of our top sports stars.
From 10AM to 2PM on Friday, Uber riders in the Auckland CBD and inner-city suburbs will see, in addition to the regular icons, a special Mustang icon on their Uber app. Rather than get the usual drive, requesting the Mustang will put you in with a chance to get picked up in a brand new Ford Mustang and taken to the Viaduct Events Centre where a special event site has been set up by Ford.
At the site, lunch is served! Mustang riders will be offered a traditional American ‘po’boy’ sandwich prepared by Dixie Barbecue. And from 10 am to Noon, Ford will be hosting members of the All Blacks and Black Sticks to meet and mingle with fans. Ford anticipates high demand so if all Mustangs are booked, the event site will still be open to all – drop by Wynyard Quarter and check out the action!
Ford Mustang in New Zealand
New Zealanders have a particular love affair with Ford Mustangs – after the US, New Zealand has more Mustang owners per capita than anywhere else in the world!
Apart from the latest models, the lucky Uber riders will also get to see other classic Ford Mustangs gathering at the Viaduct Events Centre ahead of the 37th National Mustang Convention taking place the next day and hosted by the New Zealand’s Mustang Owners Clubs.
“Ford New Zealand is really excited to be a part of the 37th Annual Ford Mustang Convention in Auckland,” says Simon Rutherford, Managing Director of Ford New Zealand. “And we are especially excited to be kicking things off with the special Mustang Uber event on Friday. Just as the launch of Mustang gave the industry a shake-up in 1964, Uber has transformed the way people get from A to B, and we’re pleased to be working with Uber on this event.”
Richard Menzies, General Manager of Uber New Zealand, says: “We’re always looking for new ways to enhance the rider experience, whether that’s giving riders access to their favourite music on the go or creating new, fun and exciting experiences. I can’t think of a better way to reward our riders for their continued support than giving them the chance to get picked up in an iconic car like the Ford Mustang.”
How to get a ride
1. Enter the promocode ‘MUSTANGNZ’ in the promotions section of the Uber app.
2. If you’re located in the Auckland CBD or the inner city suburbs between 10am and 2pm on Friday 21st October, open the Uber app and slide across to the Mustang vehicle view.
3. Set your location, then hit “request”.
4. Jump in the new Ford Mustang that arrives and enjoy the ride down to Wynyard Quarter.
5. Enjoy your Dixie barbeque with your favourite team (only from 10am to Noon), before getting dropped back to where you started, with a great story to tell your workmates!
37th National Mustang Convention
As part of the Mustang convention, Mustangs ranging from the original 1964 model to the latest 2016 version of this iconic marque will be on show at the Viaduct Events Centre the next day, Saturday 22 October; from 10am to 4pm. Entry is open to the public at $10 for an adult and $15 for a family.
The Mustangs will assemble again at 10am on Sunday 23 October in front of The Spencer On Byron hotel in Takapuna. From there, they will ride in convoy via Kumeu to the AMP Showgrounds at Helensville, where the Mustangs will be on display until 2pm.
All new Ford Mustang continues proud legacy
Since the first Ford Mustangs rolled off the assembly line 52 years ago, the Mustang has become one of the world’s most iconic vehicles, symbolising the freedom of the open road and embodying Ford’s “fun to drive” DNA. The new right-hand drive Mustang continues that proud heritage – whether it’s the classic V8 GT or the more fuel efficient 2.3L EcoBoost™.
As with earlier models, these new Ford Mustangs have struck a particular chord with Kiwis. Ford New Zealand has already received more than 1,200 orders for new Mustangs. The first ever right-hand drive Mustangs factory-built in the USA arrived in New Zealand in November 2015, and sold faster than they could be supplied. Mustangs have sold out for the rest of 2016, and delivery for new orders is now expected in March 2017.
Ford Mustang facts:
· The Ford Mustang was premiered on 17 April 1964 at New York's World Fair. The Fastback Mustang debuted on 1 October 1964.
· Within the first day of its release, 22,000 Ford Mustangs had been sold. Within two years, more than one million Ford Mustangs were sold.
· The Ford Mustang has appeared in more than 500 films – most famously in the Steve McQueen film Bullitt, which premiered on 17 October 1968, but also in classic films such as Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Gone in 60 Seconds, and more recently I Am Legend, Transformers, Getaway and Need for Speed,
· The Ford Mustang has its own star on Hollywood Boulevard.
· The Ford Mustang Facebook page has more than 8 million fans – more than any other vehicle