Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

E tū urges delay to Top Energy job cuts

13 March, 2017

MEDIA RELEASE

E tū urges delay to Top Energy job cuts

E tū is seeking a halt to Top Energy’s plan to cut jobs, after a linesman suffered serious injuries in an incident in Kaitaia on Saturday.

The person is in Whangarei Hospital after falling from a ladder onto a Top Energy vehicle, whilst doing urgent repair work at the height of the weekend storm.

E tū Industry Coordinator Communications, Joe Gallagher says the incident coincides with members’ concerns about fatigue, especially given the scale of the job cuts.

Top Energy announced last Thursday it plans to axe 17 workers, including 10 linesmen as well as staff who manage vegetation issues.

The company earlier agreed to extend its submission period after E tū sought more time to consider the restructure plans.

Joe Gallagher says E tū has now emailed Top Energy, detailing its concerns for workers’ safety in the light of the weekend accident.

He says the union is calling on the company to urgently consider its submission – which seeks a halt to its restructure until a proven fatigue management system is in place.

“Workers have voiced fears that the cuts are too drastic and will compound problems with fatigue and stress, resulting in more accidents,” says Joe.

“We want the company to urgently consider what we’ve said in our submission, and halt its restructuring process so safety issues can be carefully traversed.

“There should be no job cuts until everyone is satisfied that workers will be safe.”

Joe says line maintenance could also be affected, which might threaten the security of the power supply to businesses and local communities.

ENDS




© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Expenses Investigation: ANZ Boss Departs Under Cloud

Last month the bank said chief executive David Hisco was taking extended leave for health reasons. However, today it has said in addition to the health issues, the board was concerned about certain transactions after reviewing Mr Hisco's personal expenses. More>>

ALSO:

Wider Net Ban, Other Threats: Plan To Expand Protection For Maui And Hector’s Dolphins

The Government is taking action to expand and strengthen the protection for Māui and Hector’s dolphins with an updated plan to deal with threats to these native marine mammals. More>>

ALSO:

Fish & Game Support: Canterbury Officer Of Health Warns On Nitrates In Water

"Nitrate testing of 114 drinking water samples from across the Canterbury plains showed that more than half of them were above the level considered safe in the world's largest ever study on the impacts of nitrates in drinking water." More>>

ALSO:

Partnerships Investment Round: Government Invests In Cancer Research, Pines, Ryegrass

The Government will invest $14.4 million into transformative new scientific research programmes including cutting-edge cancer treatment and vertical farming, Research, Science and Innovation Minister Megan Woods announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Stats: Net Migration Remains High

“Since late 2014, annual net migration has ranged between 48,000 and 64,000,” population indicators manager Tehseen Islam said. “The only previous time net migration was at these levels was for a short period in the early 2000s.” More>>

ALSO: